How to get connected with Craft Shows or Consignment Shops/ labeling for public sales

mystic sowles

Hi Everyone, I live in a small town but the communities around me hold alot of Craft Shows can anyone advise how I can get a selling spot at a Craft Show? Also I was interested in trying to sell some of my products in a Consignment Shop any ideas on that as well? In order to sell to the public what are the labeling requirements? I have read that you need to list what type of wax and wicks are used, however looking at commercial candles sold in the markets I don't see any of that listed. I know warning labels need to be applied as well as scent names-that's a no brainer, but I'm stuck on what else needs to be listed on the labels. Oh I also read that they need to be dated?

Any Information would be great.

Thank You

Penny

Edited by mystic sowles
forgot a word

When you see a show advertised contact them directly and find when the application period is open. Many close application time months in advance of the event, and many great oncpes have a waiting list, so get your application in early.

As you ramp up for opening sales to the public through craft shows or consignment, check into your state and local requirements for registering the business, insurance req's, etc. Shows where i live (IL and WI) have begun to require tax info and copies is insurance certificates before acception applications.

As for labeling, i would do a quick search on this board. have never heard of a requirement to list wax and wick type or dating, but weight and warnings yes.

Hi when I sell my candles at shows I only tell them what they are such as soy, paraffin, or a parasoy. I don't list it on the jar. But I do make sure they have a warning label and I also tell my customers how to trim the wicks the right way. On the jar I only list ozs and scent name and my warning sticker.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies. When I see signs or posting for craft shows the application deadline has already passed--so I constantly miss out. I do get my name and number on a list for the next show, but that's generally a year later. So far the requirements are minimal-DBA or business license is a must because they use your ID #-whether it be a Tax Id or your SS# depending on how you licensed the business. The table or space fee's are considerabely high. My son's school has a Holiday Gift Shop that the PTSA puts on, that is 1 day and the table fee is $75.00--Ouch!!!!

Currently I am labeling just as you are. I am listing, oz, warning labels, scent names, company name, etc. I am verbally telling them what type of wax is used because I use different waxes for different product. I found 2 other candle crafters in the area and they said I am labeling with enough information. I can't believe how tight lipped candle makers are about discussing product requirements. I realize any new candle crafter is competition, but Walmart and Target is competition and there Corporations discuss different topics. It's not like I asked how they make there product. But I can at least put the labeling question to rest now. I will keep an eye out for any changes that are required within our state.

Thank You again--Your replies helped!!!!