Complete Newbie looking for advice

Nautilique

Hello! My eyeballs are officially falling out from reading and reading and reading on this forum! wowza!! :rolleyes2 I'm wondering if any kind reader could point me in the right direction, because I keep clicking and getting off track.

I am interested in simple level tart making. I have become disillusioned, I guess you could say, the market out there (from a consumer's standpoint) is just not what it used to be. Too many buyers, I guess, it's become impossible to purchase from my old standby vendors, they are either constantly closed, or have gone out of business. Plus I have recently been burned by some horrible customer service :sad2:

I saw some videos on you tube about making candle melts and they made it look a little *too* easy (which I can see from reading here it's a little more complicated). I'd like to keep it simple, so could anyone recommend the best place to get wax (maybe a parasoy blend?) and fragrance oils on a super small scale? And some instructions?

LOL, I don't want much, do I? Well, I have 8 dogs (rescues) and I just want my house to smell nice. Thanks for any feedback! :cheesy2:

Hey! I recognize you.

Making melts is not hard but it is more complicated than I expected. It involves FAR more math and science than I ever knew. I'd likely have backed out if I had known that! haha!

Once you get down your own system, then things are much easier.

I do not use parasoy so cannot help there. I know others here do so very successfully, so hopefully they will see this and help.

I would suggest that you start with some good, basic equipment and supplies. As an example, my husband wanted a guitar a couple of years ago. I planned to surprise him with a really simple guitar (because he was just getting started and may not have liked it after a bit) but a friend who is a seasoned player with several guitars pressed me to get him the best guitar I could afford. The logic was that if he had an experience that was not optimum because of the guitar/equipment, he was likely not to continue. But nicer equipment could aid in the experience being better, encouraging him to continue. Good thing about wax is that you can get the quality of supplies you need to get started for a reasonable amount. Most of us use wax pots rather than double boilers. You can get a Presto multi-cooker for $30 or less. Get a good thermometer, get good quality oils and you are on your way!

Welcome!!

A good wax to start with if you just want tarts for yourself is 6006 - parasoy. I used it for a long time and then eventually came up with a blend of my own, but it was easy to use and gave great scent throw with most oils. Some oils will be weak no matter what you do or use. I know it might be different for others, but I do remember that five days was like my magic cure days number to get a good throw with that wax. If I were you, I'd do a search of the company you're looking at to get scents and then do a search on that scent and get the opinions of others. Nine times out of ten I should have listened to what people were saying but no............ lots of money down the drain and I realize now that if these experienced people didn't have luck with a scent what makes me think I will? Stick with well known companies for FO's like Peak, Candlescience, Rustic Essentuals, Nature's Garden, Indiana Candle Supply, etc. You will use 1 - maybe 1.2 ounces per pound. I always went to the highest point making tarts since wicking issues weren't a problem. The only reason I switched from 6006 was because I wanted to sell and it's a softer wax and smeared on the cello bags and I was worried about shipping in the summer.

I got a presto pot, put the wax in and heated to 190. Added FO at about 185 by the time it got put into another smaller pan to mix (this wax is good to clean up, very easy) and stirred for about a minute and then poured into shot cups or molds. I don't have a spigot on my presto pot so I just ladle it out with the pan on the scale to get the number of ounces I'm making. I made a chart to keep on the wall for each ounce and what FO amt. would go into that portion based on the 1.2 oz. per pound. You do need a scale as wax and FO needs to be measured that way.

I think you'll be surprised at how good these will be using this wax. I know everyone has their favorite, but for just starting out for yourself, it's so much easier to not blend waxes. You'll get tons of answers in the FO section and by doing searches. People here are so willing to help. This forum has been my lifeline for two years now to get me to the point I'm at now.

Jackie

Oh, I should also add a link to Peak Candle who nicely offers sample size waxes so that you will not be obligated to buy (and then maybe stuck with) slabs or cases. You can see their 2 pound samples here:

http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Waxes/Wax-Samples.aspx

That way you can try for yourself all of the waxes the girls are recommending here. You will need to test and test to find a wax or waxes that offer the throw and longevity that you are after.

Hi!

I have a box of 6006 that I was always gonna test and never did. Would that kind of wax pop out of clamshells? I have some 3022 I was always gonna try also. Anyone mix those 2 waxes together? Thanks so much for any help! :)

Daisymay66, 6006 will come out of clamshells. I think candle science has a how to video on their website on how to make clamshells and they use 6006. I've used it alone but I prefer mixing it with a harder wax such as 4625 to get a little bit firmer wax for my clamshells.

HTH

Thanks for the replies!!!

:yay:

Karen, as for the good, basic equipment and supplies - what would that entail? I am an absolute NO CLUE Noob! lol Is the presto cooker the thing on Amazon that looks like a fryer/steamer? What about a thermometer, are the infrared gun kind any good? And scale, is that like a food scale or what? And then what do you pour them into (molds) and where do you get those? As for the wax, Jackie, you said 6006, is that something you just go to a wax site and search for? It's a universally recognized number or something?

As you can see, I need "Wax Pouring for Dummies"! lol

Are there any tutorials anywhere on the most BASIC aspects of this? (I think I saw some for candle making but not for wickless) As for what you pour from, does it matter if it's metal, plastic, or glass? Where do you get the colorings from?

I'm really not interested in blending, mixing or experimenting in any way, at least not at this point. I just want to make some melts in favorite scents, maybe put a little color into them, and possibly give them as gifts.

Thanks for the suggestions, keeep 'em coming, please!!!

:thumbsup:

. QUOTE=Belinda;1024149]Daisymay66, 6006 will come out of clamshells. I think candle science has a how to video on their website on how to make clamshells and they use 6006. I've used it alone but I prefer mixing it with a harder wax such as 4625 to get a little bit firmer wax for my clamshells.

HTH

Thanks Belinda! I use just a straight soy now in my clamshells, hmmm 4625 you say I just bet I have a bag of that tucked in a box just waiting for me to test! Thank you so much..so appreciated girl! :)

Thanks for the replies!!!

:yay:

Karen, as for the good, basic equipment and supplies - what would that entail? I am an absolute NO CLUE Noob! lol Is the presto cooker the thing on Amazon that looks like a fryer/steamer? What about a thermometer, are the infrared gun kind any good? And scale, is that like a food scale or what? And then what do you pour them into (molds) and where do you get those? As for the wax, Jackie, you said 6006, is that something you just go to a wax site and search for? It's a universally recognized number or something?

As you can see, I need "Wax Pouring for Dummies"! lol

Are there any tutorials anywhere on the most BASIC aspects of this? (I think I saw some for candle making but not for wickless) As for what you pour from, does it matter if it's metal, plastic, or glass? Where do you get the colorings from?

I'm really not interested in blending, mixing or experimenting in any way, at least not at this point. I just want to make some melts in favorite scents, maybe put a little color into them, and possibly give them as gifts.

Thanks for the suggestions, keeep 'em coming, please!!!

:thumbsup:

Yes to what a Presto multi-cooker is. I agree that the Peak link is a great place to start. Also, Rustic Escentual has tutorials:http://library.rusticescentuals.com/category/candles/wax-tarts/

A food scale is fine. Just one with a flat surface (not the kind with dishes or bowls).

Molds can be gotten at any supplier as well as shaped silicone molds made by Wilton that can be purchased at places like Michaels' Craft and Joann. If you plan to put melts into bags (versus cups or clams) you will need to get polypropylene bags.

There are a few manufacturers of wax. Most suppliers are forthright about brand and number. I uses IGI waxes which is the manufacturer of the 6006 that the ladies suggest. Golden Brands and Ecosoya are other reputable brands you will find in your search.

My wax is highly scented but remains naked so I cannot help you with dye information. You will not want to pour into plastic pouring containers. They will be more difficult to clean and will absorb scent. I use glass. Others do as well and metal pour pots seem most popular.