Sample or Not to Sample?

Hi All, I make candles and bath & body products. I've sold several candles to a lady who owns a consignment shop in town. Recently, she said she want to sample my bath & body products.

She's an Avon rep. So, I wasn't sure if I should or not especially since, I don't know how to negotiate a sampling in her shop. Can you all give some advice on how to handle this? TIA

Does she want samples for her customers to try, or this for her to personally test before she offers them in her store?

You could offer a sample box for a fee..(this is just an example) say like $10.00 and they could pick 8- 10 items to sample. (price it to your needs)

I'm not sure why her being an Avon rep has anything to do with a business relationship. Does she intend to contract with you (consignment agreement) and if her terms are acceptable, do you want to enter into an agreement? We all expect free samples of fos, wax or whatever else we can get for the purposes of testing. That's pretty straight foward of her to ask you for some samples of your products but beware of entering into consignment blindly. Ask around and find out how reliable she is about paying up and find out what the going rate for other shops. Get it in writing and make sure you have insurance. Don't charge her for samples and give her a list of your current line of products. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

Thanks for your replies. The samples will be for her customers. So far, she hasn't asked to enter into an agreement. I will be certain to review any contract because I've read stories on here about how consignments can be horrid. Chuck that's a really good idea, to check around to see how she pays and check the going rates in other shops.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually did samples shortly before I was to start my business in KC. I made up some small bags with a couple of votives and some mini-tarts and charged $5 for the bag. After you clear up the confusion regarding how she pays and such, if it feels right then I would do it. Those bags I made flew out of my hands quicker than I could make them, it's a great idea.