I need your advice: Pricing /approaching stores question

Tainakite

Hello!

I am new in the candle making art/business as far as selling my candles and I am a bit stuck with the price. I am about to sell my candles at a cute craft/arts and refurbished furniture store by the mercy of God. I thought maybe 7 or even 6 dollars per jar but i am not sure. My candles (as a start since I can not afford to purchase anything else yet) are in glass jelly jars filled about 6.2oz.

Does 6 or 7 sound good to you guys?

And as far as approaching stores/boutiques goes: do you send any emails with your products info and pictures? Do you visit? Do you leave samples? How big the sample?

I really appreciate all and any advice and input since I know personal experience is a great teacher.

Thank you

post-35094-139458518514_thumb.jpg

post-35094-139458518539_thumb.jpg

It depends on your cost of production. You need to figure that out first. General rule (when I was selling - i have no idea if this has changed and the last 5 or so years) is:

2 times your total cost for wholesale and 4 times your total cost for retail.

When I say total cost, I am talking everything that goes into the candle, wax, wicks, scent, color, packaging and labor. Yes, labor.. People tend to forget to pay themselves when it comes to selling something they have made, but it took labor to make that and if you worked anywhere else you would expect to get paid for your effort, so why would that be different when working for yourself?

Anyway, I digress...

If it has changed from that norm, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

About approaching businesses, I would do that in person, and not by email. They will probably consider it spam if it's email...

HTH :)

I agree with the above poster as far as you have to figure out your cost times 2 for wholesale and up again for retail. The retail pricing depends a lot too on your area and what others are charging.

On a side note......I love your black label with the white font. May I ask where you get the labels and how you do it. I have been looking into maybe going this route but am running into walls. I have looked at the chalkboard labels but everything I have found it very pricey and not very cost effective.

Sadly, I don't think these labels are cost effective but I decided on using them because I was to tired of trying to find better prices and quantity, make candles, jewelry and stain chairs to put at the little spot we rented. These are from myownlabels.com and then I went to the labels from the wedding section. On the PLUS side, the more you order the less they cost. I paid 7 dollars for 15 labels and I loves that I didn't have to request a quote. I like "creating" my labels. Have you found anywhere else to buy your labels? What about vista print?

• 2 weeks later...

Figure the cost of your candle for supplies and labor. Don't forget also when computing the cost of your wax per ounce, FO's, jars etc. to figure shipping cost into the total. Then double it.

As far as labels, I use VistaPrint and have for years. I'm really happy with them. They offer specials and sales all the time, so it's easy to get pretty reasonable deals.