Best Coconut?

rctfavr3

For me and many others, finding a good, strong, true coconut FO has been like trying to find a needle in a haystack. lol I've tried many over the years and I'm still looking for my holy grail. Having said that, though, there is one coconut FO that I really like above all the others that I've tried so far- Daystar's 'Under The Palm Tree'. To my nose it's the truest coconut FO I've ever come across. It gives off a really nice, slightly sweet, true coconut scent in my CP, but unfortunately, it is on the light side and definitely not what I would consider to be strong enough to be the dominant force in a blend. I'll be interested to see the responses you get!

If all else fails, I think I might have my bottle of Imitation Coconut Flavor, from my kitchen cabinet, duped. LOL. Its very strong and I don't understand why I can't find an FO that's even 1/3 as pungent. I know there's an FO out there that fits the bill...Ugh.

Peak has been mentioned a few times in past threads but I find it to be light.

Edited by rctfavr3

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one! Right this minute I am melting The Candlemaker's Store Creamy Coconut and guess what? Nope... smells good, but little throw. I cured this puppy five days just to make sure and again, I am disappointed. Wonder why this particular scent is so hard to make good? I bet I've tried just about all of them from every company out there. Bummed.

My reason for my needing a strong Coconut FO...

was to blend it with a bunch of other FOs without it being overpowered.

That being said, fig (*depending on source FO) in particular CAN help heighten the perceived smell of Coconut, in my experience. Chamomile too, if used only SLIGHTLY as a top note modifier. Overall though, the Coconut you have is the Coconut you're stuck with...and yes THEY are ALL weak!

I don't no why, but I just can't find a strong one.

If anyone want to try a blend to IMPROVE their Coconut (by the ounce)

Try adding 8-10 drops of Chamomile FO, 15-20 drops Fig FO and 30-drops Vanilla FO and see if that helps makes the "Coconut" aroma more intense. If so, post your finding and the Coconut FO used.

Edited by rctfavr3

I like Oregon Trail Soapers Supply's Coconut Breeze a lot. Straight coconut, nothing sweet or bakery in it. Really good throw as well. Have been using it for years now.

Thanks for the info. Any other winners from Oregon Trail? Looks like I'll be putting an order together.

I did a search and only found one good thread about them but it was all positive. I read through descriptions this morning and Calypso Moom and White Witch (that one is expensive) sound interesting. I've got a list of about eight going right now. Of course.... sigh.

Jackie

I have quite a lot of FOs from oregon and all of them are fantastic. I think you cannot go wrong with any of their FOs. They are not the cheapest out there but their oils together with the oils from CC are my best ones.

My favourites:

Line Dried Linen

Coconut Breeze

Baby Sweetheart Roses

Bonsai

Cool Mountain Lake (I love this fresh, clean scent!)

Gee, your hair smells terrific (yeah! Love this!)

Grass patch

Island Lullaby

Lemon-A-Peel

I could go on and on. I find all of their fos are really strong (I#m using soy and have no throw problems).

Have fun!

Thanks Inez! I was always reluctant to order from a site mainly for soap, but then I tried Elements and was pleasantly surprised how many I use from there now. Now, what to take off the grocery list sitting here to accomplish this.... LOL.

You can be sure these oils work fab in wax (and they are for soap and body, of course).

And I know what you mean: I have to order several oils and have to decide which ones. As I still haven't managed to buy that cash cow I am quite limited....and these oils are begging "buy me, buy me...I'm sooo good!"...

Thanks for the info. Any other winners from Oregon Trail? Looks like I'll be putting an order together.

I really love these from Oregon Trails:

Jasmine Yin Hao

Confederate Jasmine

Mediterranean Sea Salt

Peche de Vigne

Caribbean Pineapple

German Chamomile Tea

Green Irish Tweed

Melia Nani

Oatmeal Milk & Honey

Old Spice

Pineapple Blossom

Rosemary Mint

Spiced Plum

Well, it didn't go well with any of their oils. Maybe it's my blend, but everything had a kind of plastic undertone smell. Some it wasn't so bad in, but developed over time. Blueberry Bliss happened so fast I had to pour it out. The coconut really was fabulous. Within minutes it soared and smelled great, but about four hours into it there was that smell again. I thought it was me, but I had sent the same ones to my daughter and didn't say anything beforehand about the smell and she reported back the same thing. It could just be my blend. I might try it in another wax just to see because no one else mentioned this in any posts.

Maybe it was just something wrong with that batch of wax I made up. Not sure how that could be, but something was weird. I'm going to try again and cut back on the fragrance load. Maybe I used too much and it morphed into something weird. That can happen.