Changes in 464

Has anyone else noticed changes in 464 recently?

I"m doing everything the same (same scents, pour temps blah blah blah ......) that I have for years, but I'm getting cracking along the edges of the candles and circular cracks around the wick. I'm getting far more frosting than normal, and the tops are really smooth even after burning. Which we all know doesn't happen with 464 on its own. It almost seems like they've added something to it, like beeswax or something. I've never had this wax behave like this before.

When I get my cases the wax is stuck together in large clumps now. I have to work to separate it back to flakes. The wax seems to have a sticky texture that was never there before. This has been happening for about my last 5 cases.

So far, my wicking seems to be the same, but I'm getting frustrated with the cracks and appearance. Has something changed in the formulation of 464?

I can compare candles made about a month ago and the one I've made now and they look very different.

Edited by Jeana

Guest OldGlory

The last case of 464 I bought and poured candles from was in October. It was exactly the same for me, and it was a new shipment to the place where I buy wax, so it was very fresh. I am definitely not having those problems!

The wax I bought in october was fine. I noticed the different texture at the end of Nov. and now all the cracking in my dec orders. I even have cracking in the melting pots when the wax recools with no scent or color in it.

If I get some extra time tomorrow I'll post some pics of how clumpy my wax is from the box.

Edited by Jeana

It's not unreasonable to assume that there may be variations in soy wax based on the quality of the soy bean harvest of any given year. I have no idea what the manufacturers do to account for this other than adding in more additives. The quality control characteristics for a lot must have a specific target range as well and so long as a lot falls within that range it's good to sell.

Just my ideas on the subject.

Reading the description of 464 it says soy wax and soy-based additives

Looks to me like the exterior is cooling at a faster rate than the interior of the candles causing this. The solution is actually pretty simple. Either increase your pour temp a bit OR as crazy as it sounds, place a "tent" of newspaper sheets draped over the tops of them right after pouring to slow cooling down just a bit. But it's certainly the cooling rate causing it. Maybe even try bumping up the temp of your room a bit.