Trying my hand at making tealights

I've never been a big user of tealight candles but, as I like trying new things, decided to make some tealights. Wax used is a blend of 80% 4625 and 20% PB soy, wick is a TL-15 (smallest I could find at CS) and the polycarbonate plastic containers (also from CS).

When I tested them, the flame seemed a reasonable height but almost the entire container of wax melted in a short period of time. The first burn was 4 hours and there is still wax for another burn.

Questions: Is having such a full melt pool typical? Is there a better wax combination to use? Should I use a container wax rather than a pillar wax? Are they better wicks to try?

Thanks

I use container wax for my tea lights and usually get 6+ hrs. burn time. It is typical to get a full melt pool right away and I usually don't put it out after 4 hrs. and neither do my customers - it's just one straight burn. If the TL-15 is working for you, go with it. I use LX8's depending on the FO is use. :cool2:

I use container wax for my tea lights and usually get 6+ hrs. burn time. It is typical to get a full melt pool right away and I usually don't put it out after 4 hrs. and neither do my customers - it's just one straight burn. If the TL-15 is working for you, go with it. I use LX8's depending on the FO is use. :cool2:

Thanks for the reply, I blew the candle out 'cause it was late and dog walking time. Didn't want to leave it burning unattended. I lit is this morning and it didn't have the umpf to melt the surrounding wax to keep going for more than an hour. Total burn time with wax left was about five hours so six is possible. I have some LX-8 wicks so I may give those a try.

post-13162-139458516353_thumb.jpg

Wait until you make a ton of them & forget to put the wicks in the liquid wax! Or maybe you won't make that big mistake, LOL!

Not planning on making a ton just yet, I don't see how I can make money on these. Costs me 19 cents each and can't see selling them for more that 25 cents. I was in World Market yesterday and they had tealights for sale at about 13 cents each. I may make a 4-pack for $1 just so people can take my info with them, not that my website generates many orders.