Measuring Wax

This twisted my melon this morning....

Should wax be measured in it's solid form? or Liquid?

The reason I ask is that I measured out a pound of wax flakes and I wanted to make two different fragranced jars each 8 ounce.

When I went to divide them I was short almost 1/2oz.

I know it might not make a difference when doing a small batch but it could make a difference when doing large batches....especially when adding FO's

any opinions???

A pound is still a pound in liquid or solid form. I'd check the calibration of your scale.

oops forgot to tell you to weigh 4 fairly new quarters and they should equal an ounce or a single quarter weighs 5.67 grams.

Edited by ChrisR

There should be no difference between weighing solid wax or liquid wax. Things to check, the accuracy of your scale and making sure your tare or zero the scale before use. Drafts can also affect the readings if air is blowing on the scale, being level also helps accuracy.

You said you measured it out, did you mean weigh it (which would be correct as noted above) or did you mean you measured by volume to a level in a glass jar that is marked out? If the latter, yeah, once you melt the air space will go away and you won't have as much as you think.

• 2 weeks later...