New to candle making - 1st post

Saffron

Awesome work. They look very amazing. What fragrance did you use? I would think something like Ocean Breeze.

I personally make ones like this and they sell like hot cakes. However my votives colors are (bottom to top): red, orange, yellow, green, blue then white on top.

I have a photo somewhere. Ahh.. found it.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/133419207684082708/

I love your color.

Thank you for the comments. I know they don't blend together as smoothly as most of the pics on this board and the layers aren't even on every one but I figured I'd give it a shot. The scent is just vanilla. I got this votive kit at a local hobby store to see if I'd enjoy candle making before going on to do more. It came with the vanilla scent and 3 prime colors. All of which were blocks. Now I'm hooked and want to get into it more. I've done quite a bit of reading and want to say thanks to everybody here for sharing their knowledge!

Awesome work. They look very amazing. What fragrance did you use? I would think something like Ocean Breeze.

I personally make ones like this and they sell like hot cakes. However my votives colors are (bottom to top): red, orange, yellow, green, blue then white on top.

I have a photo somewhere. Ahh.. found it.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/133419207684082708/

I love your color.

I agree with you craftimade, looking at the colors something like ocean breeze, sea breeze, sea of tranquility or irish sea would be perfect for it.

So these are my 4th set of votives since I took up this hobby. The others have all been solid colors. Maybe one day they'll be good enough to sell. In the meantime, this is my first attempt at layering.

They look so cool. Not bad for a starter. If you are planning to make it a business one day, I suggest you start learn more about the different types of candles so you can have a variety to offer to your soon-to-be-clients. Here's a list: paraffin, microcrystalline wax, stearin, beeswax, gel, some plant waxes, tallow, spermaceti. Tallow is the most commonly used for candle making. But among all of these, my personal choice is beeswax candles as the wax are naturally produced in the bee hive. I should say that these type of candle is healthier to use because of its natural aroma of honey. However this is only my favorite. You can of course try all of them so you yourself can discover whats best for you and to your business. Best of luck to you.

Welcome Saffron! You have done a fantastic job with those votives! You will notice, that with time you will feel more and more comfortable and will get this candle making down to a fine tune. Keep up the good work and keep those pics coming! :)

Funny how just buying a votive kit can get a person hooked! lol I made 4 sets of candles out of it. Green, lavender, these blue ones, and gold colored. Now I'm waiting until after Christmas to get more supplies to try my hand at pillars. I have learned quite a bit from this forum and can't thank you guys enough. Lots of great info here! I can't wait to try different fragrances and techniques. I love the rustic and marbled looks of candles but haven't been able to get those right yet. I only tried each once though so I'm sure it just takes practice. Anyhow, thanks for the welcome everybody!