415 vs 6006?

I am debating on whether to start back with the gb 415 or try the 6006 or maybe even blend the two together. I am having a hard time deciding based on the searches i've done on here. So I thought I would ask all of you here that may have switched to 6006 from the 415 or experienced with the 6006 etc. What is your opinion on the two waxes? ct/ht? And in my research i've seen even though 6006 is a one pour wax a lot of people have to do repours do to sink holes. lol now I remember all the sleepless nights up researching before I started making candles years ago.

Guest OldGlory

I have used 415, years ago, and now use 464. I really get good results with 464. My wholesale accts are really happy with the candles made with it. My bigger acct with 7 stores doesn't like 464 in glass jars because it will frost depending on the FO used, so I went with 6006 to avoid the frosting issues. I do get some wet spots with 6006 and the narrower jars will get sink holes and it really ticks me off, lol. But I had to get rid of the frosting issues. They are happy with these choices.

You didn't mention what type of product you want to make with either of these waxes.

I don't have a personal bias against or for either wax, but... I get better ct and ht throw with 464. No doubt about it.

Sorry, I will be making mostly 8 oz and 16 oz jelly jars and melts. I have always used the 415 and it worked really well for me. I did buy 464 and made some test candles tonight with it, but I am worried because everything I read says you dont get the ht with 464 like you do the 415. So that made me start thinking about trying 6006 lol. Some say you get a better ht with the 6006 but it likes to get sink holes and you need to repour even though it's a one pour wax. I've never ever worked with paraffin so I'm a little afraid lol I guess now I remember why my hair was turning grey lol

oh and what type of wicks do you use with the 464 if you dont mind me asking? I always used CD for the 415 but thought I would try the htp 104 for the first testers. But I hate the wicks I get from this company so I'll have to order more from somewhere else.

I used 464 for years and I did love that wax- for me the CD wicks did work best - but I am one of those that switched to 415

I do think the throw is better and I don't have the burn issues I would get with the 464- frost over time was also an issue for me, I have a couple over 3 years old still that the wick is buried from it "growing" as well

The 415 I do get some frost which I believe is due to some FO's but it is minimal in comparison to the 464 and I have some a year and half old candle with 415 that has not "grown" on me so far

464 does have good throw though - I tried so many wicks and never got the perfect burn- seemed it was always too hot or it would drown out and the melt pool would look like old yellowed crisco- the constant testing of the performance frustrated me into making the switch- 415 once I figured out how to get smooth tops has been more consistent in the performance of the burn for me and more fragrances seem to throw better

Edited by moonshine

I started out with 415 and I thought it was going to be the wax I stuck with. However some of the oils just did not throw well at all and I started to have wicking issues. I then bought a sample of 6006 and WOW. The Hot throw is amazing. The colors come out beautiful. Some of the FO's that did not work with 415 are now working with 6006. I am finding wicking is easier. In fact I think I have narrowed down one wick for almost all FO because it will catch up with the heavier FO as it burns down. (using 8oz JJ)

I am just blown away by this wax.

Get a sample from peaks first to test for your self.

I use 8% FO load and it works great.

I used 464 for years and I did love that wax- for me the CD wicks did work best - but I am one of those that switched to 415

I do think the throw is better and I don't have the burn issues I would get with the 464- frost over time was also an issue for me, I have a couple over 3 years old still that the wick is buried from it "growing" as well

The 415 I do get some frost which I believe is due to some FO's but it is minimal in comparison to the 464 and I have some a year and half old candle with 415 that has not "grown" on me so far

464 does have good throw though - I tried so many wicks and never got the perfect burn- seemed it was always too hot or it would drown out and the melt pool would look like old yellowed crisco- the constant testing of the performance frustrated me into making the switch- 415 once I figured out how to get smooth tops has been more consistent in the performance of the burn for me and more fragrances seem to throw better

Sorry I don't know how I ended up here....thought I was replying to 464 vs. 415

Try 85% 6006 and 15% 415. Heat to 185 degrees and mix color/fo for about 2 minutes and pour into clean room temperature jars. Use cd or cdn wicks for best results. You get less sooting and fewer wet spots. The ht/ct is very good at 6 to 7% and improves with curing. This formula is supposed to give you about a 50/50 percentage of soy to paraffin. HTH

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Try 85% 6006 and 15% 415. Heat to 185 degrees and mix color/fo for about 2 minutes and pour into clean room temperature jars. Use cd or cdn wicks for best results. You get less sooting and fewer wet spots. The ht/ct is very good at 6 to 7% and improves with curing. This formula is supposed to give you about a 50/50 percentage of soy to paraffin. HTH

Steve

I do the same with a little different percentage (higher 415) and really am happy with this mix. CD wicks and ECO's work for me. I have hardly any trouble with wet spots or frosting.