Scentsy Plug In Melters

johnn544

This is my first post on the forum although I have been reading all of the insightful posts for a few months. So thank you everyone!

I have been making paraffin melts in standard 6 cavity clamshells. I have a 15 watt Scentsy plug in melter and I can not get a cube to fully melt in it. I use a blend of 4794 and 4627. I realize Scentsy uses a low MP wax but I have tested my melts in another 15 watt plugin from a different manufacturer and it melts fine. Since Scentsy manufactures its own melters, does anyone think that perhaps they are making their bowls thicker than others? This would help assure that only their melts will work in the plug ins. I also noticed that their clamshells have much smaller cavities- which would melt better in lower heat. Is anyone else having trouble getting their wax to melt in 15 watt Scentsy plug ins? Or maybe a better question would be has anyone had any success with melting their wax in a Scentsy 15 watt plug in?

Edited by johnn544

I think the OP may be talking about the wall plug in style, not the light bulb style warmer (which of course, also plugs in, but with a cord).

I have the Scentsy light bulb style warmers and they have melted every kind of wax that I ever tested in them (mine and other people's as well). I used to be a fan of the Yankee and BBW wall type plug-in warmers (that had the little oil pods that snapped in) but do not have one to which I can add wax. I need WAY more scent than that! haha!

I don't know about their bowl but I couldn't get my tarts to melt either. Their warmers burn at a very low temp which match the low MP of their wax. And for people who have Scentsy warmers it makes the competitors tart melt look like crap because "your tarts won't melt in my Scentsy warmer". No a bad concept!

If you have a candy thermometer you can see how hot your burner is.

Thanks Annie. I will keep tweaking things until I can get a blend that will consistently melt in their wall plug-in 15 watt bulb melter. I am getting closer. You are right about it being "not a bad concept". Can't ignore their huge (sometimes cult-like) following. I personally think many on here probably make better, longer lasting melts/tarts but will they melt in the lower-heat melters that Scentsy makes? That is the challenge as I see it. I know many say they don't worry whether or not their melts work in Scentsy melters but they do make a variety of nice ones and the volume of their business is huge. I don't much care for them (for several reasons) but I actually think they are good for the 'industry'. In my view, the more people purchasing melts, tarts,melters, etc., the better it is for all of us!

Edited by johnn544

• 4 months later...

Hi, just thought I'd add my $.02... I have only Scentsy warmers in all three sizes scattered throughout my house (used to be a rep so I have a lot of inventory left over, but that's a story for another day, lol). I use 4630 and 4386 wax 50%/50% for my melts and I've never had an issue with melting since I chose waxes with specifically lower melt points to try and mimic Scentsy's base. My scent throw is mostly pretty awesome- I have a few duds here and there but I guess that's why we test before a potential customer gets it! As far as the wax, I've found that my blend pops out just as easy as theirs if not better so clean up is a breeze. Some of the stiffer waxes not only have a harder time melting but it's a super pain in the butt to get it out unless it's liquid! Hope that helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read all the reply's but I would first double check that the light bulb is actually a  15W.  They aren't easy to find and I've had customers come to me and say their melts weren't melting.  When I asked about the bulb, they told me they replaced it with a "Nightlight Bulb".  Well, 7W is NOT going to melt my melts!  If your bulb is actually a 15W bulb, next look at your wax and adjust the ratio of container to pillar or votive or whatever else you use.

This is why we don't just say that our melts work in Scentsy warmers.  You MUST test them first!