FO Sweating out with C3

C3 is the only wax I have used and with 1 0z pp I have not had leaking/sweating out issues but when I upped to 8.5 as some other chandlers do here I had major leaking/sweating issues it was a disaster. Wondering how others are able to use a higher percentage in this wax, I am adding F0 at 180 and pouring anywhere from right away to 125 I have ran the gamut and like 160 best.

Also I used a warm vanilla sugar and only used 1 0z PP and it sweated out the top, I wonder if it is the heavier oils as I only had trouble with Kudzu, Warm Vanilla Sugar, and the lavender apple and lavender sage

Those of you that are adding 8.5 to C3 how are you doing it with no seepage? I don't temper as I thought this was for looks only wonder if that is the difference?

Thanks

I've used C3 for a few years now and always use 8.5%. I would occassionally have seepage issues (you may have seen my earlier posts in '11 lol) but haven't had any problems with it at all since I started tempering and pouring cooler. I add fo at 185*, stir 2 minutes, pour when slight skin forms on top. On the occassion when I need to use a heat gun or do a repour, I always wait till the next day. Never failed that fo would seep if I did it same day as I poured. I cant say if tempering actually helps with seepage, but C3 behaves so much better when it is imo. hth

When I temper, I melt my wax at night...bring it to 185*, hold it there for a few minutes, then let it set for the night. Then when I was ready the next day, I would just heat back up to 185*, add fo and/or dye, stir, then pour at desired temp. For me, its a real time saver...hth.

I think it is time to get a presto pot! I did temper last night and let it get almost hard as I poured a bit in different pots for different flavors, I only added 8.5 to one batch of pink sugar, I see from your previous post IMC that you let this cure for 3 weeks so I am gong to try that. One more question when searching back in 11 you used an additive or two. Are you now using any additives with C3? I do not use color if that helps. All my candles that I poured last night don't have any cratering/rough tops this morning at the 125 pour so I am thrilled with that. Thanks again!!

I use USA (not UA-thats for paraffin) it helps with frosting and looks of wax...I also like using a little bit of Coconut Oil, imo it makes the wax burn easier and more evenly. I tried using both together once and what a mess, so just use one or the other. If you're not coloring and the tops look good, I wouldn't add anything extra...why mess with a good thing lol! Two weeks is plenty of time to cure...just seems the longer a candle sits, sometimes better the ht.

I've been using C3 for about 7 years and certain fo's would seep out so I started using less of those. I found that if the ambient temp is too warm or too cold when the candles or melts cool it

may cause sweating. It's pretty much trial and error and keep notes. Tempering the wax and using USA may help somewhat but you need to work with each fo to see just how much you need

to prevent sweating and still get a good ht. A standard of 1 oz pp just does not work across the board with this wax...most, but not all.

Edited by kandlekrazy

I've been using C3 for about 7 years and certain fo's would seep out so I started using less of those. I found that if the ambient temp is too warm or too cold when the candles or melts cool it

may cause sweating. It's pretty much trial and error and keep notes. Tempering the wax and using USA may help somewhat but you need to work with each fo to see just how much you need

to prevent sweating and still get a good ht. A standard of 1 oz pp just does not work across the board with this wax...most, but not all.

Do you ever find yourself using more than 1 oz pp on some FO's? Thanks for your input!!

Never do I use more than 1 oz pp, if the fo is that weak I don't use it after testing. Strong or heavy (vanilla, amber etc) I usually can use .8 oz

There was a supplier that went out of business who I could use .6 in some of her fo's, I really miss that!