To Color or Not to Color

Dolphin146

I am making of bunch of 1 oz portion cups as try me samples. I am having a hard time deciding to color or not. I was thinking maybe no color. Which do you think would be better. Or do you think it really doesn't matter I am making a ton of these for a show I am doing next weekend. If they sell good I will be selling them at all the shows I am booked for this year. Which is every weekend from next sat until Christmas. :grin2:

Guest OldGlory

IMO... Color. People are drawn to color, and identify scents with colors. Someone might pick up a portion cup because they like the color before they know what the fragrance is. For me, color is definitely a factor.

This question seems to come up a lot. I think of it along the lines of soy vs. paraffin. It comes down to personal preferehce and the preference of those buying your wax. What is your theme and who are you targeting as your customer?

My labels are Kraft with simple black lettering. I use vintage wire baskets, baker's twine tied shipping tags, lots of unbleached muslin and other rustic signing and theming. Undyed wax is an appropriate choice. Neon orange, blue and pink wax would not look as I want (not wrong, mind you, just not what I want).

For others, a rainbow of colors, shapes, glitter and such is appropriate.

There are some here who make what I consider upscale and classy lines with undyed wax. I'd hardly be able to call their product uninteresting. Especially since my personal preference is simpler and cleaner.

Just doing this a bit more than a year and a half I am still very much a rookie. That said, I have never once been asked why I do not color my wax nor if I would. I chose undyed wax for aesthetic yet have been surprised the number of people who have thanked me for making dye-free melts. It was not something I did for eco or health reasons but some believe that I did.

It comes down to what you wish to do, the look you are going and what your target consumer wants to buy and have in their home.

Karen I do the same with my candles for the very reason says you've mentioned. I actually offer two versions of my candles, a very rustic style with bakers twine and kraft tags. I additionally offer a very sleek and modern line of which I also do not use dye in the candles. Not one time has anyone asked me why I didn't color my candles and most people think it's because my candles are 100% soy so I'm being green all around. I have also found, especially with the deep colored candles, as I used to previously color my candles that it can cause clogging up the wick. However I can see that people are drawn to color, I am very much someone who loves color, but for some reason the undyed I candles really appeal to me because, no matter what time of year or what color room that they're going to go into, and they always fit.

Karen I do the same with my candles for the very reason says you've mentioned. I actually offer two versions of my candles, a very rustic style with bakers twine and kraft tags. I additionally offer a very sleek and modern line of which I also do not use dye in the candles. Not one time has anyone asked me why I didn't color my candles and most people think it's because my candles are 100% soy so I'm being green all around. I have also found, especially with the deep colored candles, as I used to previously color my candles that it can cause clogging up the wick. However I can see that people are drawn to color, I am very much someone who loves color, but for some reason the undyed I candles really appeal to me because, no matter what time of year or what color room that they're going to go into, and they always fit.

Yes, I work with color ALL day long in my role with my corporation and have for 27 years. It is not that I do not understand color and it's influence. My corporation owns Crayola for crying out loud! haha!

It is simply a choice. I am a very analytical thinker and my choices are typically based on data (what is my message with packaging? who is the intended buyer? what will adding color do to cost and production?, can I maintain consistency batch over batch if I color, etc.). My decision not to dye is just rooted in my packaging, styling and theme (how I spend the rest of my days at work!)-as is yours. Others had different data/answers to those questions and their look reflects that and many are FAR more successful with this than I will ever be.

I also like that I have the option to test color and see if it makes a difference in sales. I may just try that one of these days!

I went to a craft fair this past weekend(we sell soap), and went to two booths, both selling homemade candles. One ladies was colored(she used paraffin) and the other ladies was uncolored soy. Honestly, the uncolored was much more appealing to me, personally. I think the woman who colored hers was new to candle making because the colors were cheap looking, and the tops of her candles were sunken and messy looking. Her labels were cheap and unprofessional looking, and her prices were top dollar. The uncolored candles were beautiful, elegant, and well displayed, and smelled much better than the other ladies. I think the most important thing is to make sure, whether you color or not, that your candles/tarts look and smell fantastic. I have bought both colored and uncolored, I totally base my buys on the smell and quality of the candle, not the color(although I know that many people base their purchase on color). There are so many different types of people out there, you can't please everybody. So do what makes you happy, and what you're comfortable with. I hope you do well!!!

I color my tarts/whiffs - I find people tend to react to the color and smell. Very rarely do I not color my candles/tarts/whiffs...unless I think white corresponds with the scent (Sweet Snow for example). When people order candles from me I let them pick their own container/scent/color (My slogan is "Hand Crafted Candles...Designed By You...Created For You."); and I have never had someone order a white candle. I tend to get some "weird" color requests too; like teal for Strawberries & Cream but I know this person orders them to match her decor. I personally think a well made candle that is white can be just as attractive as a colored candle. Generally the candles I make for myself are either white or pink...I find them the best for my decor LOL!

• 3 weeks later...