Not having a good week - Fading and Yellowing

I have a customer that has alot of flourescent lighting in their store. They ordered all undyed candles a few weeks ago. They just called because they are yellowing. I stopped to checked them out and the front which is most exposed to the lighting is very white, whiter than normal and the area on the backs of the jar have yellowed areas. I use UV inhibitor from the Candlemaker's store. We went with undyed to avoid any issues with frosting but this is not good. I don't want to remake and have it happen again...any thoughts? There was one of my dyed candles there and it was fine so I'm wondering if no UV inhibitor would be better?

I've had the same problem with candles in shops with flourescent lighting. I also use UV Inhibitor but from CS. So far CS has the best UV I have used as far as fading colors but flourescent lights are another matter altogether. I ended up trading out the discolored candles for fresh ones which the store owner was thrilled about. It also got me another sales order so it worked out.

Thanks Candybee....I'm offering to remake or refund but not sure if dyed or undyed would be better if they decide to replace. Out of 30 or so candles, I would say they're all about the same. It's weird the way they morphed...whiter than normal in the front and the yellow was on the back of the candles, not as exposed to either the natural or florescent lighting. I have candles, made exactly the same way, in other stores with florescent lighting that are fine and have been in those stores lots longer. I'm thinking there is just too much of both kinds of light in this one shop.

30 candles fading is a lot. I only had to trade out less than a dozen. And.... 1 tsp for 5 lbs? That sounds so way off to me. I use 1/2 tsp per lb wax. Plus I really have tested different UV Inhibitors and the one from CS is consistently the best for keeping colors from fading and changing. I use it in my uncolored candles to. The ones in the shops that keep turning on me after weeks of sitting under flourescent lights are the uncolored and bayberry or olive green. The uncolored go from white to a yellowish ick color and bayberry/olive colors fade or morph.

I don't know why CMS's says to use so much less of a percentage, that does seem strange. I just checked the package label again and that is what it definitely says. I really haven't had any problems up until now with any other undyed ones. Never had a problem with the dyed ones either. I almost think that the light yellow on the jar is really the color the candle was and the rest of the jar got much whiter, like bleached out, so the yellow pops more. Especially on scents that tend to make the wax more discolored anyway, like Honeysuckle Jasmine. This shop does have lots of overhead flourescent lights but it also has alot of outside light coming in.

If you're still having a problem with some undyed using that much of CS's than I'm not sure that's the way I want to go either. Do you add the UV to your pouring pot or in your melter? I've been putting it in the melter based on the total weight of wax I put in....for example, if I throw in 50lbs of wax than I'm adding 10 tsps. I may not use all of the wax at that pouring, so I turn it down to like 159F until I pour again. I wouldn't think it is affecting the UV because I've been doing this for years and this is the first issue. What color is CS's UV....CMS's is kind of a bright yellow color.....I'll have to take a picture and try to put it up on here to show you.

You definitely have to use uv in uncolored. CMS--- now I get it. This guy had some odd info on his soap and soapmaking when he started selling soap making supplies on his website. He didn't know anything about coloring and scenting with CP soap. I was floored by the info he offered and there was a thread a while back about it so I wasn't the only poster that noticed. I am not surprised he is offering misinformation of candlemaking supplies-- i.e., UV inhibitor.

Check out other sites that sell UV Inhibitor. It is pretty much the same anywhere but with slightly different formulations. That would not be enough to change the usage rate from 1/2 tsp pp wax to 1 tsp per 5 lbs. That is just crap!