Setting up an LLC

Node11

Have any of you used an online service to prepare and file the legal work needed to start your company? Any opinions on the subject? I've been looking into leagalzoom and mycorporation and wonder if the extra expense of using a service vs doing it myself is worth it in the long run.

I didn't bother with legal zoom. Just did it through the state's website. It was pretty basic and they walked you through it online with written instruction. There was even a number for the state to phone with questions. It literally took me less than an hour to set up with all the reading.

I have worked with clients who use rocket lawyer with good experiences. I am not sure about a corporation but for a non profit it was worth the extra money as there is so much involved with the state and the fed government and such. I would say checkyour state website to check the costs and then check the online services and decide if it is worth it to use them.

Hello! I had some legal work done a few years ago and decided to ask the law firm if they do LLC preparations for start-up businesses. They did and since I was a past customer I was able to use them. The best things were it did not cost me much, they knew the correct way to fill out the forms and I do not have to have a yearly fee as many of those online companies charge. So... maybe contact a local law firm or lawyer (or ask your friends or family members for a recommendation) and have a lawyer do it for you. Why use a lawyer? They can give you advise on using the LLC plus they act as a go-between in legal matters associated with the state and you. They can also come to your defense in case of a possible lawsuit. This may not ever happen but if it does you have a lawyer quickly defending you.

Thank you all so much for the feedback. Real world experiences are invaluable and I appreciate you sharing your wisdom. I've been reading up today and the Article of Organization with the state doesn't seem too difficult. I do want to make sure I've got the federal and state tax id's and such all square too. A local tax lawyer or similar may be a good route for me.

I'm glad to have found this community. I hope to give back as well though I'm finding I have a lot to learn yet.

Thanks again and happy crafting!