Creamy wax for Wax melts in clams?

nkennedy023

Ok I know everyone has their own opinion on which waxes that work best for wax melts, but what wax or wax combo would y'all recommend for melts that are still able to pop out the clamshells, but also are creamy looking? I bought one like this once at a farmers market and have yet been able to find the same consistency, mine are either too hard, not creamy looking enough or too soft. Ive tried ecosoya xcel and ecosoya pb mixed at different ratios and the pb by itself but its just not as creamy as im looking for. Thanks!

I love clarus 3022 mixed with igi 4794. It is a soy paraffin mix, but creamy looking and rich smelling, IMO. I do pop my clamshells or molds in freezer for a few minutes in order to release wax from sides. 3022 is a very soft container wax and 4794 is a harder votive wax.

Hello to all, I am a newbie to the site but not to new at candle making about 5yrs now

wow time flies when your having fun. I have spent many hours reading all the wonderful post. There is always room to learn and improve. Over the last year I have tested many waxes for clamshell tarts and I was on a mission to find a consistency like what you are looking for. So this is what I decided on for my clamshell tarts. IGI 4630 and 1% vybar- 260 works for me . You can even mix GB 464 50% and 4630 50% JMO and what I found works for what I was looking for in consistency and like always..... test, test and test again!! and sometimes mistakes turn out to be gold mines. I hope this helps:yay:

Thanks ya'll! ;)

ktaggard, what ratio would you recommend for the 2 waxes if you don't mind me asking?

NOLA CHARM, Do you mix the 464 with yours? if so what ratio?

Thanks so much! I've been testing and testing the waxes I have and wasn't getting what I wanted, I am going to order those and try them. :yay:

Ok this is the third time trying to post this. Guess I will learn as I go . What I am Using

IGI 4630 1%vybar and I love it . This is what I am able to make with this Clam shell melts, molded tarts from metal mold, and votive candles they all come out mold , look and feel great.

If you would like I could send you an image of what they look like. Not sure how that works but I am sure someone here would help me .

Edited by NOLA CHARM
left something out

• 2 weeks later...

Thank ya'll! I've been doing SO much testing, trying to get that "perfect" look & strong throw. I've mixed SO many different waxes, played around with the fragrance oils, but still not completely satisfied. I just bought a box of goodies, from a craft sampler group, I got it in the mail today and there was this one wax tart in particular that blew me away. She said it's 100 % vegetable, pure soybean oil. It was just a small sample, but wow. It had a very strong cold throw, in fact, it had everything scented in the box! Hot throw was great too. I know each are different, but I'm thinking, how do they get theirs sooo strong, and then i'm wandering what wax they could be using...I order good fragrance oils through reputable companys, but I can't get mine anywhere near that strong :( ehhh. I'll keep on trying...

Guest OldGlory

I have used 6006 for clams. It's a pretty soft wax but I've had no problem getting the wax out of the shell. I use no additives.

I have been using KY Para Soy blend with 1 tsp vybar per pound. I love it and it does come out looking very creamy and pops out of the clamshell very easy.

http://rusticescentuals.com/Ky-Para-Soy-Tart-and-Votive-Blend.html

What benefit does adding the vybar do? I keep seeing it mentioned but I can't figure out why it's a good additive! :)

This is what I was told so please correct me if I'm wrong.:smiley2:

Vybar is an additive used to help harden the wax and to increase the fragrance load.

Vybar enhances fragrances & color quality, increases hardness and surface gloss, and also helps reduce air bubbles and mottling. Recommended usage is 1/4 - 1/2 tsp per pound of wax.

I have to make a huge confession here. Sometimes I consider melts to be a way of using leftover wax (like firestarters). I don't mean residue from candle tests. I mean when I break up a slab of wax and make pillars or whatnot and have a few ounces left over and don't want to fire up the presto for it. That goes in a bin. Same with some excess container wax. Eventually my bin is full of unused wax. Then I start a presto pot for tarts and use 2 ounces per pound of FO.

I know this is not scientific. And at some level, it is hit and miss, especially if I am using some FO that is also also maybe not enough left to make a batch of pillars or containers.

Sometimes I do "design" a tart. I use at least a 125 degree melt point wax. Usually something from China like they sell at General Wax in LA.

If you really want a creamy look, consider soy. Any soy. Much creamier than Paraffin.

• 3 weeks later...

I use 80% Ky Votive/Tart wax with 20% Clarus 3022 and 9% fo load. Pour 1 oz into silicone flower shaped cupcake molds and get sunbursts. They are hard on the bottom and creamy on the top and really do well. Southwest Candle Supply's Mulberry or AH/RE Cherry Slush are really loud and last a long time. HTH

Steve