What wicks do you use with GB 464?

I am currently using CD wicks.

With a 16oz, straight sided, 3" jelly jar, I am using a CD 10 most of the time. The wick burns great, great scent throw for many scents but am dealing with some mushrooming. Not liking that at all (I just don't trust that people will trim them).

Is mushrooming just a given with soy wax?

I was mixing palm and soy and never had a mushrooming problem but switched back to straight soy to keep costs down and keep it more simple.

What wicks do you use? Do they mushroom?

CD wicks work fine with 464, at least they do for me. If you are getting mushrooms, you may want to cut back on your FO or try a larger wick. Mushroom are an incomplete burn of the wax and oils.

I believe I'm reading your reply correctly, you're suggesting I wick up? That seems backwards to me. The melt pools are almost perfect in some of the tests I've burned. I feel if I wick up, it will be too much. I spose it won't hurt to try.

I only use 6% of FO, 1oz per pound so I don't see that being an issue, some FO's are stronger than others though and could be decreased I spose.

It looks like you are using apothecary jars? Do you only use one wick or do you double wick?

I also wanted to apologize for posting this with the subject line that I used. I did a lot of reading on this forum and found that many people use CD's and Ecos with this wax and so I don't want to sound like a broken record by asking the same question that has been asked before. I should have emphasized more on the mushrooming aspect. Thanks for bearing with me here :)

Edited by Pristina

I believe I'm reading your reply correctly, you're suggesting I wick up? That seems backwards to me. The melt pools are almost perfect in some of the tests I've burned. I feel if I wick up, it will be too much. I spose it won't hurt to try.

I only use 6% of FO, 1oz per pound so I don't see that being an issue, some FO's are stronger than others though and could be decreased I spose.

It looks like you are using apothecary jars? Do you only use one wick or do you double wick?

I also wanted to apologize for posting this with the subject line that I used. I did a lot of reading on this forum and found that many people use CD's and Ecos with this wax and so I don't want to sound like a broken record by asking the same question that has been asked before. I should have emphasized more on the mushrooming aspect. Thanks for bearing with me here :)

I was writing in general terms about how to solve mushrooms, if wicking up is not an option than using less FO may be the answer. Finding a hotter wick may also be a possible answer, a ECO maybe. What do you consider to be a "perfect melt pool" and how soon do you achieve that?

CDs may not be the answer in this case. IF you are using a CD10, try a CD14, it has a slightly lower ROC (rate of consumption) but us slightly hotter (as judged by test flame height and melt pool size).

As far as apothecary jars, I double wick with CD 5 in 464.

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old post but had a few questions since I'm venturing or trying to venture into double wicking.  I put up a post not too long ago about double wicking the 10 oz and 16oz apothecary and RJ suggested 2 cd 5's for me as that is what he uses all the time in 464 (I use that too).

Well, I've made quite a few testers in the this combo and they were awesome throwers with these 2 wicks but my melt pool is a 1/2", maybe a bit more in some.  RJ do you have melt pools like this or are they 1/4 to 3/8" which is where I like to keep it, (if I could).

Old Glory,I'm liking the samples you sent me.  I especially like that if I have to wick up or down, the next size closest to whatever wick I'm using is close and not such a drastic difference like say between a cd 5 or cd 6 like most wicks generally are.

I know a good melt pool should be maybe 3/8" or smaller but I'm curious to know what does everyone "honestly" say their melt pool is on your candles?

Now be honest.......lol....I've gotten some candles here from members on this board who make beautiful candles and I can honestly say most of everyones melt pools are 1/2", maybe even more.  And I'm not naming names either.... :lol:   I just would like to know.

Thanks.

Trappeur 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Mornin' Trappeur.

One of the things I LOVE about the Premiers is the countless options! I honestly don't know why another company hasn't made so many sizes. It's perfect for those of us who are really picky about our wicking.

As far as melt pool, I think those go from 1/3" to 1/2" for me. Here's my theory: If the candle is burning nicely and has a normal size flame, throwing well, not overheating the glass, I'm happy. Then, if my customers are happy (my wholesale clients), I'm happy.

First it has to meet my criteria, then my customer's criteria. Sometimes I get too far inside my head and have to stop overthinking things!