Soy test burning

Ok, I've been reading up on this soy business for a while now trying to get a grasp on how soy works. For the most part, I'm getting it. What I haven't found is the differences in test burning soy and parraffin. I never though that is may behave different until I saw the 30 min burn pool post. That's been cleared up, as it's been said that soy should be similar to paraffin in that it should be about 1" per hour. I pretty much know how a paraffin container should look/act while burning. What I'm wondering is, is there any differences to look for in soy. I've run a search on test burning but all I'm getting are the different wicks being tested :undecided

Added: Nope, I've never burned any kind of soy candle. Actually, until I found CT, I didn't even know they made them.

Ducky

Nothing special to look for, just get it close to the 1" per hour with about a 1/4 to 1/2" deep MP. Soy wax is tougher to burn, so you will only have to wick up a size or 2 from the paraffin. If the jar is 3" or more, they tend to do better with double wicking. I would expect a strong cold and hot throw from soy, usually equal to or better than paraffin. Soy is notorious for not throwing lighter scents, such as water scents and such. I have a hard time getting Juniper Breeze to throw in it and FO's like Seashells and Rain. Could just be the soys I have used, right now I am using EZ Soy or KY Puresoy. I am currently testing a 50/50 blend just for those few that won't throw in the straight soy. Sorry, probably more info than what you wanted. But thought I would jump in since no one else has posted yet.

Thansk Kaybee, it's helpful! No worrying about double wicking, I hope anyway, just using these 4 oz square tins. I have no clue in any of my FOs will throw well in soy, but I'll soon find out...lol. Just knowing that the burn should look the same as a paraffin candle helps. I can test from there.

Is all soy cream colored? It's very odd stuff. Kinda mushy :grin2:

It's the samples from Golden Brands. What I poured tonight was the 444. After reading the thread on the 423 for pillars, I figure I don't stand a chance when the real soy people are having trouble..lol.

You know that I couldn't the 444 and 449 to perform for me as well as my Puresoy and the EZ Soy. It didn't matter what temp I poured at. The 423, well I only poured one batch of votives out of it and they all cracked, as well as did many other peoples. I use the KY votive and pillar blend and hardly ever get a cracked candle out of it. If I do it is because I left it in the freezer too long or it stuck to the wickpin. As a soy user for a year and a half, I just couldn't get my arms around those new Golden Brands waxes. But they may work well for you. Good luck and let us know how the testing goes.

p.s. I don't buy special FO's for the soy, most of the regular FO's that you have already should work fine.

If it weren't for the samples, I probably still wouldn't have tried soy yet. I still have much testing on my paraffin to do. Between the expense and required testing of adding a completely different kind of wax, it was just too daunting to venture into. Soy is interesting, something I may consider continuing with for containers. I'll see how the burning goes.