Testing Results

gar1

So after a year I decided I wanted to try out a new wax!

Previously, I was using KY 133 & got 8 hours total of scent throw (2-3 strong, 2-3 medium, 2-3 light) 1 week cure.

So far tested:

4625 straight 6% FO = 8 total hours scent throw (5 strong, 3-4 light) 24 hour cure

4625/4627 (50/50) 10% FO = NADA (i didnt smell anything) 24 hour cure

Up next to test is 4794 straight, 4794/4627, 4794/4625

I'll update this post after testing..I really want to use paraffin only so if anyone has any other paraffin or para blend waxes to try let me know! :)

Edited by gar1

Sure, I heat my wax to 180-85 add FO stir for at least 2 mins and then add dye and stir..I pour at about 175 sometimes 180. I use FO from NG, RE, CCS & Peak.

Specifically I used Bird of Paradise in 4625 straight and Creamy Pumpkin in the blend! If I forgot anything please let me know lol

Can you share your method or system? How hot do you get your wax? When do you add FO, what FO did you use for test, etc. Your results are not at all what you should have gotten with the waxes you tested.

4625 is a great wax on its own, and is what I use for pillars. Love that stuff. When doing melts, and adding 4627 to the blend, the 4627 (in my experience) has enhanced the CT/HT.

Wonder if it is the FO?

Did you not use the same FO's in each wax blend for testing? Did you use your strongest or best selling FO's?

I test like a crazy person. I test each wax blend in the same 2-3 scents. I make 4 melts. 2 for me to test and 2 for other testers to test for me. I test a vanilla, a fruit and a bakery. Really allows for complete testing and rules out variables like a particular FO not working as well with any given wax blend.

4625 has worked well for me. Alone and with anything with which I have blended it. 4627 has prevailed in my testing when blended with 4625 as well.

It could be the FO but sometimes I wonder if it's not a combination of the AC & the draftiness of the house..

I used two different FO's One a stronger scent & One a lighter scent and those were the results that I got.

Today I poured 4794 straight and 4794/4627 (50/50) & used two FO's again one strong & one light..I used balsam fir and angel type..but I fear that the blend will be too soft & may not release from the cups.

I'm going to test these 2 tmr..

I test in a small bedroom & ttest one ounce at 24 hour mark and then test the other ounce at the one week period.

Well, we test differently, so I am not certain. I make every wax blend I want to test in exactly the same FO's and same percentage of FO. I like to compare as exactly as I can. I do not want one FO (like Key Lime) to win out over a softer FO as example and me believe that it was the wax that was the winner (or the reverse). So, I test Key Lime in one blend against Key Lime in another and so on.

Most recently, I made batches of Key Lime, Toffee Cinnamon Apples, Pumpkin Apple Butter and Toasted Marshmallow in perhaps 6 wax blends. I typically use one of 2 blends but I wanted to play with percentages of each of the waxes.

You should be perfectly fine with 4794/4627 releasing from the cups. 4794 and 4625 are equal in consistency.

Within my two lb samples I will test each "tester" scent with each wax combo before i'm finished..i just rotate the scents out through the week during testing so my nose doesn't get too used to the scents and take notes on the scent/wax combo I have done. I'm just afraid when testing more than one wax and combo that if I use just one or two scents and test all week that one of the last things I try i may cancel out due to a possible candle nose..lol. I'm glad you mentioned that 4794 and 4625 are equal in consistency because i noticed that through my testing so far that my straight 4625 tarts seem more dry than the 4794 tarts.

Today at the 24 hour mark i'm testing:

4794 straight FO Balsam Fir

4794/4627 (50/50) Angel Type

I'll be pouring:

4625 Creamy Pumpkin

4625/4627 (50/50) Bird of Paradise

...by Friday I should have poured & tested (at 24 hour mark) all 4 scents in all 4 wax methods. Friday I will post my final results!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, i know im late with my final testing results but I have went through all four scents tested with each of the wax/blends I have listed above and the best for me was the 4625 straight..I still however did not get 10 full hours of a strong throw even with the super strong balsam (eww). I got about 7 hours strong with that. But I guess it is just me lol. I have another wax I want to try out though! Thanks everyone!

Are you heating it hot enough? I was making awesome melts then bought a presto pot. My melts wouldn't last long at all. By advice of ladies on here, I started heating to 200 to transfer to my mixing/pour pot. (I guess I was losing too much heat during my ladling!) Ever since then, it's been so much better!!!

Also, what is your warmer? I had a candle warmers.com square one. A melt I only got 4 hours in that one, I got well over 12 in another warmer with the same bulb!! I guess it was just getting too hot or the shape...I dunno!

Don't give up!

Are you heating it hot enough? I was making awesome melts then bought a presto pot. My melts wouldn't last long at all. By advice of ladies on here, I started heating to 200 to transfer to my mixing/pour pot. (I guess I was losing too much heat during my ladling!) Ever since then, it's been so much better!!!

Also, what is your warmer? I had a candle warmers.com square one. A melt I only got 4 hours in that one, I got well over 12 in another warmer with the same bulb!! I guess it was just getting too hot or the shape...I dunno!

Don't give up!

Agreed. You should be getter longer HT from that wax.

I agree with possibly increasing your temp. I have found in my own experience that if I add FO at a temp below 185 it greatly diminishes the throw. I use a presto, heat the wax to about 195, ladle into a pour pot, stir slightly, check the temp with an infrared thermometer and when it reaches 185 I add the FO.

I heat to 180-185 keep the wax on that heat while i add FO & dye and stir for two mins and then take off heat and let cool to usually about 175 to pour. I have a 25w hot plate that I use for testing..although I think my bowl may have cracks because it does seem to leak quite a bit..it came from vista wholesale..my house is also pretty drafty until mid fall when I turn the air off. Oh I also use a presto pot lol.

I guess I should also add I ladle into pour pot but then I put the pour pot on a hot plate warmer to bring the temp back up to 180-85 and once it reaches that point is when i stir in the FO & dye

Sounds good to me! I wait until its about 150 before pouring into my clams/portion cups and have to heat higher since I do t have it on a heat source after ladling but other than those differences it sounds good to me! :P

Well for the last year I was using KY 133 & customers said that HT would diminish easily. I haven't yet had anyone else test the any of these other waxes..soon i think I'll have someone test the 4625 and the 4625/4627 blend and see how they think it compares to the KY 133!

• 3 weeks later...
So after a year I decided I wanted to try out a new wax!

Previously, I was using KY 133 & got 8 hours total of scent throw (2-3 strong, 2-3 medium, 2-3 light) 1 week cure.

So far tested:

4625 straight 6% FO = 8 total hours scent throw (5 strong, 3-4 light) 24 hour cure

4625/4627 (50/50) 10% FO = NADA (i didnt smell anything) 24 hour cure

Up next to test is 4794 straight, 4794/4627, 4794/4625

I'll update this post after testing..I really want to use paraffin only so if anyone has any other paraffin or para blend waxes to try let me know! :)

Did you try the 4794/4625 mix?