Wick Mushrooms

I haven't posted on here in quite some time and finally started retesting candles after taking a frustration break.

This is a candle made in a 12oz status jar with SWC para-soy wax, Pink Sugar at 6.5%, RRD 40 wick. I have been burning it for anywhere from 3 - 4 1/2 hours at a time and this is at over a total of 24 hour burn time and isn't even half way down :) It has great cold & hot throw. Put it in a bathroom where a/c doesn't blow on it and it flows out of the bedroom and down the stairs :yay: As you can see, it is cleaning the jar up pretty nicely and it doesn't get to hot. I have tried a a few CD & CDN wicks but couldn't get it near this good.

So how big of a mushroom would you tolerate if everything else was working like a charm? I think this is a first for me with so many things going right that I'm ready to embrace the shroom. But of course I'll take any suggestions. :)

post-13137-139458512557_thumb.jpg

I will definitely keep going and I keep checking the jar to see how hot it's getting. So far so good. The flame doesn't seem to be very big so hopefully it will work. This wax is very similar to 6006 but seems much creamier and a bit softer once set. It has great adhesion to the jar with no wet spots showing up like I do with 6006. I will keep testing and keep you updated.

One thing to keep in mind about mushrooms is something called "Capping". A good-sized mushroom will make the flame appear smaller than if there was no mushroom present. This gives a false impression as to how large the flame is or could be. Always trim the wick before relighting (I'm sure we all do) and eliminate the mushroom.

Thanks for the info rjdaines. Yes, I'm definitely religious about trimming my wicks before relighting. The mushroom doesn't seem to be getting any bigger but now that I am a little more than half way down the jar, I think I'm going to have to wick down. The jar isn't extremely hot but a little more than I'd like. It also started to get some soot on one side of the jar. GRRR! That's one of my biggest pet peeves!