PLEASE HELP! Scented water crystals, or smelly Jelly receipe!

I have tried every recipe i can find on these. I bought a big bag of Morton Solar salt for water softeners.That is the only salt in crystal form I seen. The other said pellets and I read not to use pellets. I am trying 6oz. of warm water to a teas of pellets for an 80z jelly jar. I can't even get them to swell up, absorb? I read different places to use the Morton salt for water softeners. Am I doing something wrong at this point? Any recipes appreciated!Please Help! TY!

Solar salt is not gonna swell up.....you are using the wrong product. The first site shows the product you can buy at Walmart or garden type store and Nature's Garden sells them also. If you are using water softener salt you can soak it in straight FO or 50% FO/50% DPG and put it in little dishes like potpourri.

http://www.lisashea.com/lisabase/cleaning/odorabsorbing/making.html

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/item/sj-1

Can you please tell me what it is I need to get that I can get at Wal-mart? I'm sorry I don't know where the first site that shows the product is? I was everywhere reading. Lol! I very much appreciate your help and thank you!

The first site listed on the post. They wound up buying the crystals at Home Depot. "So on he went to a Home Depot. He found 12oz plastic containers of "Schultz Moisture Plus Watering Crystals". The container looked really small and he wondered if this would be enough - he was expecting a big flour sack kind of container. Still, he figured one was good enough to experiment with. That 12oz was $7.97. " HTH

Steve

I have some water crystals I bought so long ago, I don't remember from where!! Probably Home Depot but it was in the garden department. They can be used to put into the soil of potted plants, sewed into hankies for cool neck wraps, soaked with FO for room scenters..

The go a long way because the really, really swell up :-}

I would very much like to thank everyone. I did find the crystals that are for potted plants and I got and made them, but I am still very curious to what people are using for the salt crystals that actually work and are crystals. I am told they are some form of water softener pellets. I have tried what I know. Lol! Maybe I just better stick to the water absorbing pellets. Thanks everyone. I much appreciate you all giving me your time and help!

This has piqued my interest. Here's what I think you can do to create the crystal effect. Buy any brand of water absorbant polymer (water gel crystal) and do the following:

Q - How much crystal gel will a 1 ounce package of the polymer make?

A - Add a 1 ounce package (6 teaspoons) of the dry crystal polymer powder to

a 1 gallon bottle of distilled water.

Let it stand for about four hours (overnight is great).

The crystals will swell up and increase their weight by approximately 400 times.

Next, use a sieve to strain off any surplus water and allow the crystals to drain for 2 hours.

Now you have a whole gallon of sparkling Gel Crystals.

Now put the crystals into a container or bowl, add candles, flowers or some plants, finished!

You will notice that even an ordinary glass turns into a small wonder at the touch of your hands.

Store the unused gel back into the gallon jug, replace cap and retain until you need some more.

Since you used distilled water, the crystals should remain usable for quite a while.

Store in a dark area until ready to use.

To make the Fragrance Jelly:

1) Fill a container with 16 oz. of distilled water.

2) Pinch of table salt (optional, see step 7 below)

3) Add 1 teaspoon of the Water-Gel Crystals (Medium Blend).

4) Stir in 2-4 teaspoons fragrance oil. Water based scents work just as well.

Some fragrance oils suppliers will cause issues so test on a small sample first.

5) Add a few drops of food coloring for desired color.

Food coloring is found at your local grocery store.

Mix with liquid before adding crystals or stir in after gel has absorbed the liquid.

Use which method that provides the best color effect that you desire.

Another method to color the gel is with cake icing coloring which is found in most

craft stores and is available in numerous colors

– stir into your jelly until desired color is achieved.

6) Mix all ingredients and allow to sit for several hours.

The crystals will soak up the water and expand into little gel-like pieces.

(Makes enough to fill two 8 oz. Jelly Jar with Fragrance Jelly)

7) The addition of a pinch of salt has been said to help preservation and may help

prevent the cloudy appearance that sometimes occur over time.

8) Fragrance Jelly jars look cute with lace, or thin material in the lids

(using only the rim and leaving out the middle piece).

This helps keep dust off your smelly jellies.

Pick a material that goes with your product theme, such as country.

Or you could pick a material to match the scents, like fruits, flowers, etc!

9) You can also use Fragrance Jelly in potpourri warmers for an even stronger scent!

The gel can be easily colored (dyed) by just stirring in a few drops of food coloring or icing coloring.

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't tried this....IT WORKS! I have them in several rooms of the house and they are wowzer strong and have been going on second week. I used two teaspoons to 16 oz of distilled water and mixed some fos that were barfy in candles. You're gonna get more of the oob experience; so if it smelled better oob than in wax or soap then all is not lost.

Steve