Votive test burn

Ok, I have searched and can't find the answer. It's has to be somewhere.

I am testing burning my votives. 4794 wax, 1oz fo/ lb cinnamon from peaks

I have one with 44-24-18z, and one with 36-24-24z.

after an hour, the 44 has a melt pool of about an 1/2 inch with a mushroom. The pool is still 1/2 inch after 2 hours. The 36 had a very little melt pool. Which now the flame is out but my kids have been running around so not sure if they blew it out or it went out. So will have to try the 36 again.

Anyway, how big should the melt pool be on a votive after an hour?

I don't use that wax - I use 4625 - I use the 44z with my votives. Do you have the votive in a tight fitting holder? If so, continue the burn with the 44 - I'm guessing it'll catch up...

Yes they are in the round glass votive holders.

I redid the 36z wick and after about an hour the melt pool was a little less than 1/2" and very little mushroom. So I might choose that wick with that fo.

Here are some pictures of test burn #1 2 hours.

Left picture is cinnamon with the 36-24-24z.

Right picture is the 44-24-18z

Middle picture is Vanilla Mint Both of those wicks look ok. However the one with the 44z, more wax is gone after it cooled.

I have some cotton wicks coming from Peaks that I will try also.

post-7500-139458511884_thumb.jpg

post-7500-13945851189_thumb.jpg

post-7500-139458511893_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrisasst

How do we determine which FO is a "heavier" one compared to another. I guess what I am asking is do I need to test burn every FO to determine the wick for it. Either a larger wick or a smaller wick.

You absolutely need to test burn EVERY FO, as you won't know which scent will take a larger or smaller wick unless you do. In my case I find my cinnamon, some vanillas, patchouli, sandalwood, amber and my buttercream are 'heavier' scents. Others may find different FO's are 'heavier', so you definately need to wick test them all. Have fun!!

How do we determine which FO is a "heavier" one compared to another. I guess what I am asking is do I need to test burn every FO to determine the wick for it. Either a larger wick or a smaller wick.

Yes, you need to test all FOs and retest if you make major changes in your wax formula.

Testing, like they said above me. For me, the differences between a usual wick and going up tend to be spicy, spicy scents; vanilla heavy scents; patch sometimes; ambers (the really good ones lol); and heavy musk fragrances can be in that category too. Through testing you'll get used to what does what in your wax and can eventually start to gauge a better starting point etc. if that makes sense. Good note taking helps too.

Edited by Scented