Clamshell vs Paper Sack

classiccandle

Hi all,

I was wondering how many of you package your tarts/melts in a clamshell vs a paper bag? I've seen online where a few people use the paper bag and while it's different they do take up more shelf space and you can't pour the wax back into the bag to save for later use like you can a clamshell. They are slightly less expensive if you buy in bulk and they can hold more tarts/melts.

Do people expect tarts/melts to be in clamshells since Scentsy and others are so popular? Do larger sizes, such as 8 oz's of tarts/melts that a 1/2 pound bag can hold, sell very well or are people accustomed to buying 3 oz clamshell sizes?

Please chime in and give me your opinion. I've been thinking of switching from clamshells to bags (with windows) but can't seem to get off this darn fence!

Thanks!

Edited by classiccandle
clarification

I use a paper bag when I pour tarts in silicone molds. I think they look cute bagged up in the brown paper bags with the window. I also use clamshells and cello bags and tie the cello bags closed with a ribbon or homespun fabric. It just depends on the look I'm aiming for.

HTH

Thanks for the replies ladies!

I'm testing a 1/2 lb bag with a window but in order to get a good "fill" in the window it takes 8 oz. of tarts/melts (I started with 4 oz but it makes the bag look too empty). Are people hesitant to buy that much since most are used to buying 3 oz clamshells?

Thanks for the replies ladies!

I'm testing a 1/2 lb bag with a window but in order to get a good "fill" in the window it takes 8 oz. of tarts/melts (I started with 4 oz but it makes the bag look too empty). Are people hesitant to buy that much since most are used to buying 3 oz clamshells?

Hi! That was the reason I switched! I had so many requests for clamshells. Plus since they are only about 3oz of wax versus 8oz, people liked the price point of clamshells. I had quite a few people also tell me they liked the small clamshell design instead of my bag. Sales for me are much better w/clamshells. JMHO:wink2: could be different in your area. I also like my display a lot better w/clams. I think they look nice all hanging up. Have a great day!

Guest OldGlory

I love the look of the paper bag with the window. I have never tried to sell them that way though. I have sold tarts in clamshells and 1/2 oz condiment cups. The cups were preferred by my customers, probably because of the lower price.

One store in Waynesville, NC, had a really great looking display of super large glass jars (maybe 2 gallon or more) with black metal lids, and each jar had it's own label. The jars were about 1/3 to 1/2 filled with shaped tarts and it reminded me of the old way of selling penny candy. (yes, i'm really that old, rofl). Anywhooo.. the display was spectacular. I suppose votives could have been sold from the same jar. They were obviously a very hard paraffin wax and they didn't smell very strong - but the display was compelling. [i have tried a few times to make tarts out of a very hard paraffin but they just don't smell right to me - too much odor of paraffin and not enough of the fragrance.] If it had been my display I would have had little paper bags set out so customers could pick out the tarts they wanted.

I've made little shaped tarts and put them in glass mason jars and decorated with a black lid and homespun material and made a brown kraft label for the front. They made really cute gifts at Christmas. I love the ease of clamshells but also love the look of cookie shaped tarts in a brown paper bag.