Avocado soap

Candybee

I've been reading about adding avocado in soap and want to try it. Anyone have a recipe they wouldn't mind sharing?

I know you puree the avocado but I don't know how much ppo to add.

I understand it makes a wonderful creamy soap.

Also wondering what scent might compliment it. Maybe a cucumber type. I have a cucumber melon from SGS.

Hi There CandyBee...I have made soap using avocado pulp ..I use 1 whole avocado(medium size) per 2.5 pound soap recipe..I blend it in with the oils..it does discolor to a dark greenish brown but the lather is wonderful especially when combined with avocado oil in the recipe...I usually use a fresh smelling FO or EO blend and I add green tea leaves or peppermint leaves for a speckled effect....:)

I think 1 Tblsp pp is the norm and too much kills the bubbles. It was suggested to lower the superfat a bit Also read that it may(?) discolor a little. Trying to find my notes. This one is still on my list to try.

Your FO choice sounds very nice.

eta... Well, will have to try how Blanca prepares it. No issues with it killing the bubbles? Do you use the avocado as part of your water or as superfat?

Edited by ProudMarineMom

I have added the avocado pulp with the oils when blending with the lye or at light trace...it's really easy to work with and the lather is heavenly and creamy ...my recipe contains 25% Avocado oil and makes a very lotion like lather :grin2:

Thank you BlancaD. I have avocado oil I use in most of my soaps. Most of the time I use at 5 or 10% depending on the soap. I think an 'avocado' soap would definately be enhanced with a higher % of avocado oil.

I know I read somewhere on a forum that someone adds lime with their avocado. Will see if I can find that. But for now I just want to give the fresh avocado puree a try. Thinking of blending it with some of my coconut almond milk I have been using lately. Won't that be a creamy soap!! (Hope so!) When I get around to it I'll post back here how it came out and what I used.

Hmmm.. was just thinking of adding nettle with it.

Edited by Candybee

For my avocado soaps I use 1 tablespoon fresh avocado pulp ppo, finely pureed with my stick blender to as smooth a consistency as I can possibly get it, then I further stick blend it into my oils before adding my lye solution. I also sub freshly juiced and strained cucumber for half my water amount. I juice the whole cucumber, peel and all. It makes the most beautiful shade of dark emerald green juice. I add that to my oils/avocado right after the lye solution has been mixed in. To ensure that my beautiful, green soap does not turn tan/brown over time, I add 1 teaspoon TD ppo and 1 smidge of green chromium hydroxide ppo. It does the trick nicely. I haven't had a single avocado/cucumber bar turn tan/brown even after 6 years have gone by (I held a few bars back for testing).

I also reduce my superfat % by one notch or two because my normal amount of bubbly lather gets diminished some by the avocado (which I don't ever like to happen! lol)

When I make my avocado soap I puree my avocado 1-2 med with just enough aloe & coconut milk to make a nice smooth puree. I also add some lime juice, lemon or citric acid to prevent the dark discoloration and my avo soap never turns dark. I soap with 50/50 lye solution and use the puree as the remainder of my liquid. I use an Avocado FO with lemongrass and bergamot. Makes great soap. I also make a beer and avocado soap with is very nice with lots of lather. My soap batches are 5lbs

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the avocado soap. I made a 52oz oil batch and used one full pureed avocado just to see what would happen. I also upped my avocado oil to 20% and added the fresh juice of 3 aloe vera leaves, coconut milk, Fr. green clay and silk protein. I also used the new tallow I got from Essential Depot instead of palm oil. Can you tell I love to put lots of stuff in my soapies?

The avocado soap is about 3 weeks into cure. I already pulled a testor soap out to play with. OMG! it has so much creamy lather! I didn't mean to add the full avocado-- only half-- but its working. This is one creamy luscious silky bar of soap!

My next avocado soap is gonna be using SGS Goddess. My test batch is coconut lime. Its okay but I want a really special scent for this one.

Edited by Candybee