Storing bulk lye

Jeana

I finally found a lye distributor near my house. They only sell in 50lb bags. We have a ton of animals around here and it makes me nervous to have that much lye sitting around in an open bag. I was hoping to get some storage ideas to make it safer to keep this much lye around the house.

Hi, Jeana!

I buy my lye the same way, in 50 pound bags - so much cheaper. I went to a local restaurant supply company and found some sturdy, clear food storage containers with snap on lids. They look like they fit 3 gallons or so of liquid or dry foodstuffs.

All 50 pounds fit in the three containers. The lids snap on very securely, but I'm able to get in them without breaking a nail or otherwise hurting myself. I don't have a lot of grip strength. I keep them out on a side porch that's enclosed. We filled them outside (wearing gloves) by cutting a small corner off the heavy plastic bag up on our picnic table. Worked like a charm.

I've not had any problems with this system at all. You might be able to find something like that locally. I didn't want to put it in one big opaque container that I couldn't handle myself.

Brenda