Paraffin/Soy blend questions

I've been making and selling only soy container candles for the past year and a half and would like to venture into making paraffin candles but would like to use a blend. I've decided on a 4633/415 blend and for those who don't mind sharing I have the following questions.

1) Is an 80/20, 70/30, or 50/50 paraffin/soy blend better?

2) With 415, in order to get smooth tops, you have to pour around 100° and it seems with 4633 the optimal pour temp is in the range of 145-155°. With the blend, in order to get smooth tops and a one pour candle, if possible, what would the optimal pour temp be?

3) I know a lot of chandlers like to use zinc wicks with paraffin but they don't work in soy. With any of the blends mentioned in question one would a zinc wick work or will the soy mess it up? I currently use CD wicks in my soy and am happy with them. Do they work well in paraffin or p/s blends?

4) I would like to try the blends in the 12 and 16 ounce salsa jars. They each have a diameter of approximately 3.25". Would a single CD wick work in these containers or will I need to double wick since I'll be adding soy? Would a CD-18 or CD-20 be good to start with?

5) With 4633 it's said that adding vybar isn't necessary but for those who do use it does it add any additional benefit that makes it worth the extra cost?

6) I forgot to ask but with soy it's best to wait a week or so before testing and a lot of people recommend waiting 24-48 hours (some even recommend a week) for paraffin to cure before testing. With a blend does it take a week or so for it to totally cure or can you test after a few days? Does the amount of soy added to the blend affect the amount of time for the wax to cure?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and answering any of the questions. The value of recommendations made by those on this board is priceless.

Edited by classiccandle
Added additional question.

I know there are lots of you whose light burns a little brighter than mine so don't be shy, step right up to that keyboard and let those fingers fly! (Hey, that rhymes. Maybe I should be a rapper instead of a chandler!)

I'm going to stare at my screen until I see some answers. Well, not really, but I'll be checking back in anticipation of seeing some. :grin2:

1) Is an 80/20, 70/30, or 50/50 paraffin/soy blend better?

I think this would be personal preference. I like a blend that has more paraffing than soy.

2) With 415, in order to get smooth tops, you have to pour around 100° and it seems with 4633 the optimal pour temp is in the range of 145-155°. With the blend, in order to get smooth tops and a one pour candle, if possible, what would the optimal pour temp be?

I used to use this blend, when I first switched from soy and poured at 150 - got beautifully smooth tops.

3) I know a lot of chandlers like to use zinc wicks with paraffin but they don't work in soy. With any of the blends mentioned in question one would a zinc wick work or will the soy mess it up? I currently use CD wicks in my soy and am happy with them. Do they work well in paraffin or p/s blends?

Zinc wicks work great in blends. I have recently been testing 6006 with zinc wicks and they performed extremely well. I haven't had much luck with CD wicks in para/soy blends. They smoked too much for my taste. They do however perform beautifully in soy. I use them with 464. A lot of people don't like zinc wicks because of the mushrooming but fact is every single wick out there can mushroom. I think it's personal preference in most cases.

6) I forgot to ask but with soy it's best to wait a week or so before testing and a lot of people recommend waiting 24-48 hours (some even recommend a week) for paraffin to cure before testing. With a blend does it take a week or so for it to totally cure or can you test after a few days? Does the amount of soy added to the blend affect the amount of time for the wax to cure?

I'd wait at least 3-4 days for a blend that has more paraffin than soy and a full week for a blend that has more soy than paraffin

Answered what I could. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck :)

I use the salsa jars with a 70% soy and 30% paraffin blend with a 16 cdn wick at 7% fo load. Most of the time my candles are ready to go in a couple of days but the longer they sit the better they throw IMHO. I've tried 50-50 blends and the paraffin smoke problem seems to take over the system. Zinc wicks are cool burning wicks and they don't handle soy efficiently. I have a ton of jars 12oz and 16 oz with gold lids for sale.

Steve