Scentsy Wax

Today at work a Scentsy Rep had come and set up a table for residents and workers to shop (senior living)....stopped by for a few to check out their scents and the Rep commented that Scentsy wax is all natural and is in fact, the same wax thats used to coat apples at the supermarkets. I've never heard of this...have any of you?

It is a paraffin wax. I use paraffin and of all I have read, most articles do mention that paraffin is in cosmetics such as lipstick and paraffin is also used to make things like cucumbers and apples shine. I would guess since the Reps distribute, rather than have the familiarity that we who make have, they can only share out what was shared with them in training. I would guess that was something she picked up on and repeats if questioned.

I remember reading somewhere that Scentsy was "food grade" paraffin. Yes, paraffin is practically everywhere. It's all over lots of produce to make it shiny and pretty and to help keep out moisture/oxygen and to allow it to be shipped all over the world.

Candy is also coated in paraffin and paraffin 'things'. I'm not a scientist, so I don't have the real names, but I remember when I worked in the industry many items used to make chocolate and food items shine were paraffin derived. Paraffin is used in cheaper chocolate coatings so that they don't melt as quickly. This is usually labeled as chocolate flavored coating or summer coating. To be called chocolate is has to be from chocolate liquor with the cocoa butter in tact and once fillers are added it loses the real chocolate label. There are still OLD recipes that call for adding paraffin wax to chocolate to firm it up. That is what my mother did when she made the little peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate at Christmas. They were called "Buckeyes", my Grandmother wouldn't eat them because they had wax in them. These days even home cooks are learning the proper way to work with Chocolate couveture, and the tempering process, once only done by candy professionals. That's what the wax did, was allow the chocolate to set up without tempering. It very often bloomed, but that's a whole 'nother story.

When I was a kid my Grandmother would have me "scrub" the wax off food before we ate it. Back then it was much thicker and if you were careful you could peel it off in chunks. My brother and I would take the peelings outside and then take a magnifying glass (or my thick blind-kid glasses) and light it on fire on the sidewalk. :)

Many old time remedies, especially for internal issues and worms and parasites were made from consuming kerosene, or liquid paraffin. Lamp oil is a refined liquid kerosene, also called liquid paraffin to some.

I think that Scentsy may be training people to use the "food grade" label. Heck when I break up my paraffin blocks outside my chickens run around and eat the little pieces that go flying. They are still here and I've been doing that for several years now. Food Grade sounds more natural. People think about oil and gasoline and they think of the thick nasty stuff from the oil spill photos and what drips out of your car and that doesn't look edible. It's natural and comes from he earth, but it's all in the perception. In the food industry we call these things "technically edible". You can eat them, and they don't harm you at that moment, it doesn't mean it's tasty.

I think you could get into trouble telling people it's "food grade". Once you add the color and fragrance it's NOT edible at all. So "natural" is a better way to go.

I call BS on Scentsy. Sure, maybe they do use food grade paraffin, BUT they don't tell you the additives they add in order to get a great throw out of their tarts because that may not be edible! Food grade paraffin alone will not hold much FO at all, pure BS on their part as usual! :tongue2:

Chris-Scentsy's site says only that their wax is a custom paraffin blend. I could not find that they claim food grade paraffin but that certainly does not seem to stop their reps.

I know I said it earlier, but their issue is having reps who simply distribute and do not make the product themselves. As a result, they pass on what they read or are told by someone in their selling structure (who also may not know or was previously misinformed) and that cascades and becomes further distorted and incorrect. Reps can certainly aid in gaining distribution but damage a brand's image.

That's where the 'all natural' threw me...didn't think it could be so simple.

I could never call my stuff natural. Sure, my melts are phthalate and dye free but then I load them up with synthetic oils and well, there goes the natural. I suppose if I made beeswax melts that were sented with Essential, rather than fragrance, oil perhaps that could be called natural.

Scentsy's melts are definitely not natural!

Many people use the word 'natural' way more than they should (more BS)! I never have and never will use that word in describing any of my candle or B & B products, as it is just so misleading. My customers know what is in all my products (it's on all my labels) and they are quite happy I am forthcoming and honest without throwing words around that actually mean nothing in the long run. Molds & bacteria are 'natural', but I sure don't want them in any of my products!! :cool2:

Agreed. I am with you ALL the way!!

Your post reminded me of my going to the doctor with a face so swollen that I could barely open my eyes. Turned out it was a botanical/organic/natural skin cream. I objected and reminded him that it was organic and natural so it could not be that. He reminded me so are both poison ivy and arsenic. I got the point! I also got a heavy duty steroid.

Agreed. I am with you ALL the way!!

Your post reminded me of my going to the doctor with a face so swollen that I could barely open my eyes. Turned out it was a botanical/organic/natural skin cream. I objected and reminded him that it was organic and natural so it could not be that. He reminded me so are both poison ivy and arsenic. I got the point! I also got a heavy duty steroid.

This reminds me of why I've always thought if I'm going to purchase any B&B products, it will be from someone on this forum. I just don't trust just any person from Etsy or a random website of homemade products.

Guest OldGlory

You see all manner of BS used to sell products when someone stands to benefit from that sale.

The used car salesman comes to mind, lol.

I saw a woman at a crafts fair INSISTING that her black cherry oil, her pumpkin pie oil, her baby powder oil, etc. (bottled in 1 ounce amber bottles) were, in fact, essential oils. When I called her on it (gently) she became defiant. I picked up the bottle of black cherry oil and asked if she knew the distillation process.

I work with a group of women who are required to sell a set amount of perfumes every day, and we have to douse the store in fragrances every few hours. My coworkers will tell you all sorts of lies to get you to buy what they are selling. They have no conscience about it, they just want to make their quota. The company doesn't care how they make the sales, just get it done. I went undercover and contacted the company to inquire about phthalates and got back a response that went something like this: We comply with all laws and regulations regarding the manufacture of our fragrances. My question had been: Do your fragrances contain phthalates? A simple 'no' would have sufficed, but I think they couldn't put that in print.

I like to watch people when I know they will lie to get what they want. What I have noticed is that the person telling the fib usually has to avert her eyes during the telling of the tale and then she can look back at you and flash her smile. Online, you can't see it. My hunch is that buying blind leaves us much more vulnerable.

• 1 month later...