Butt Naked and Monkey Farts. Hmm.

In ALL of my FO obsession, I had resisted the temptation to try these FO's. I finally broke down and tossed a sample of each in with a recent order. The rave reviews here nudged me even though the descriptions (not just the names!) did not really appeal.

So, I got them and they MUST be FO's that have to be put into wax to appreciate. OOB they are not blowing me away as I would have expected with their wild popularity. I find each kind of odd.

I will indeed try them in wax this weekend but it prompted me to ask. Further, I have to know-are they popular because the names are attention grabbing or is it the scent of each that keeps people coming back for more?

Thanks!

In ALL of my FO obsession, I had resisted the temptation to try these FO's. I finally broke down and tossed a sample of each in with a recent order. The rave reviews here nudged me even though the descriptions (not just the names!) did not really appeal.

So, I got them and they MUST be FO's that have to be put into wax to appreciate. OOB they are not blowing me away as I would have expected with their wild popularity. I find each kind of odd.

I will indeed try them in wax this weekend but it prompted me to ask. Further, I have to know-are they popular because the names are attention grabbing or is it the scent of each that keeps people coming back for more?

Thanks!

A couple of years ago I posted this same response to virtually the same question on another board. The reply posts that followed nearly all agreed with me. It will be interesting to see how this one reads.

We all know that fragrance preferences are seriously subjective, however;

In my opinion, both of these scents are pleasant, but not impressive nor "top drawer". I believe the name attracts the attention on these two fragrances that may otherwise go mostly unnoticed.

I currently carry "Butt Naked" in my shop. I use a very tasteful image of a smiling baby on the label. I once carried "MF", but renamed it, "Monkey Breath". I discontinued carrying it once it went out of stock. We have a similar tropical fragrance that sells better. I did try labeling it "Monkey Farts" for about two weeks, but grew very weary of all of the similar and usually stupid comments. My wife and employee both thanked me.

These issues may not be important to you, Karen, as you are not in the trade, but I posted in order that others who do market their products may consider my experience with them.

JMO

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

Same with Sex on the Beach. All three are fruity.

Names are everything.

Give them their rightful names. If they don't sell, rename them. What works in your market could be 100% different from what works in mine.

For awhile, I called one of them (I can't even remember which one) Fruit Basket. I used Fruit Basket from October through Christmas, when gifting of fruit baskets is popular for people who don't know what gift to give.

It's just that simple.

Edited by SliverOfWax

I have never smelled Butt Naked but AH/RE's Monkey Farts is one of my top sellers. It's a very pleasant scent. In one store I renamed it Tropical Smoothie because the shop owner didn't care for the MF name, but it's still a consistent seller.

Butt Naked and Monkey Farts are both best sellers for me. they are awesome scents. And the names are awesome. The ones with the word "Sex" in them are ones that I changed. I also changed Lick Me All over and Purple Hooters. I sell a lot to people at my church so the sensual ones I needed to change.

Thank you all!

I LOVE Fruit Slices and other fruity scents but these two are not grabbing my attention OOB. Will give them a fair shot in wax before I judge, though.

I do make primarily for myself but have set up a little Facebook page and do sell a few to friends and family. Since I make mainly for me, I do choose all scents that I like.

Thanks again. Here is hoping the FO's are something that will take me by surprise (in a good way!).

My tiny little "operation" is hardly worthy of a welcome, but thank you!

I have given bags and bags full of melts to friends and family. Many shared my melts with their friends and family and I kept being asked if I would consider selling some. I could not give free bags to everyone. Again, with just 36 scents, one format (wax melt cups) and little interest in shipping, it was not suitable for an etsy shop nor a website (even though my career is actually built around project management of a corporate website!) so I started a Facebook page.

OH! I was also invited back to the one day art fair at my corporation in September. I had a great time last year and am looking forward to this year's event!

Your "story" sounds similar to the one I heard about a gal named "Mary Kay" and the now "gozillionaire" who started, grew and then sold a candle making company somewhere "up North".

Hey! Why not!

You're far more organized than I am. I just found over 40 one pound bottles of FO from two suppliers that I had forgotten I had bought during Christmas week this past season. I was making up an order when my DW said; "Do you know these are here?" No order now required! God! I'm dumb!

Oh! How I wish I were young again and able to walk into my own stockroom.

Stay organized and healthy and someday you may be doing a bit more than selling melts to friends and family or at a few events. I think you're smart and ahead of the game, too, by focusing on wickless items.

JMO

Dave

I've had people buy monkey farts just for the name. I like the smell. Some people don't think it's funny. Seems like people think the name is funny or they just are not amused.

Exactly. I think I've told this story before: Years ago I was doing a craft show and had a dozen SOTB candles. A very elderly lady came along, spotted the 2 or 3 I had on display, and started giggling like a 12 year old. She was talkative and told me more than I wanted to know about how the name brought back memories. She ended up buying all I had and said she wasn't even going to burn them. She wanted to place them around her home for memories and to shock her friends.

Names attract the people, but I find that they keep coming back for the same candle.

Yep. Customers will generally smell a candle with a racy name or unusual name, just out of curiosity.