First pillar - what's the deal?

I have only made container candles and tarts up to now, and tried to make a "rustic" pillar last night. I don't hate the results (they are just for me) but clearly this is not how it's supposed to go. :o

I used 1343 wax with 3 TBS of stearic per pound. To me, it looks like the stearic didn't melt sufficiently or something. Heated to almost 190 and poured at 180 into a chilled mold.

Also the layer of wax that I poured to top off didn't stick and peeled right off the bottom of the candle. My guess, is I waited too long or didn't pour it hot enough.

So, experienced, awesome chandlers.....what'd I do wrong? TIA

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt314/LoriJ/rustic.jpg' alt='rustic.jpg'>

I think your candle mottled. If you want to get rid of that, you may want to check Peak, CW, CS or BCN. I believe they all give directions using 1343 on how to keep it from mottling. I don't use that wax, so I could be wrong. Many on the forum do so they may chime in and correct me, if I'm wrong to help ya out. :)

I do the 2nd pour at 5-10 degrees higher temp than the main part of the candle was poured it. HTH and GL

ETA: Just remembered, I think it is BCN that gives some easy instructions on that.

Edited by jeanie353

Thanks guys! I'm gonna give it another try and pour cooler next time and use your suggestions. So this is a mottle huh? LOL! Who knew?!

Edited by LJA

In my humble opinion all have given sound advice to this point.

I actually like the looks of your candle. You should feel accomplished. I'd have never posted my first pillar attemp on a board like this. It's been many years, but if I can recall even our dog hid when I lit it.

I hope you have fun chandlering. I wish I still did.

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles