Wedding candle

Hello. First off, I know nothing about candles. Second the girl and I are planning a wedding. She wanted to do the lighting of the candles bit, but I thought it was too cliche. So I want to re-invent it, if possible. I would like to pour two different colored waxes together, and in my little mind they would join to form a new third color. A candle that we would light on anniversaries. Thought that we could keep the wax in kettles on a mini camp stove out of sight. Is this even possible? Or should I start finding reasons to not do the traditional sand thing either?

If this is possible Im open to all kinds of ideas, provided the colors change. Not interested in the ice in the candle to cool it. Im a patient guy.

First, welcome!

Second, while I think it's a great idea to expand on traditions, making a candle while dressed in a white dress that costs as much as a car.......isn't my ideal dress to make candles. If you read here you will read about many mishaps with pouring wax. It's hot, just around 200 degrees and will give you a nasty burn if you get it on your skin, and if you aren't a skilled pillar candle pourer you can make a heck of a mess. Candle wax will ruin clothing.

The pouring two separate colored waxes into one pillar is doable, but I think you may want to source a professional candlemaker to make a candle ahead of time for you to light, instead of making it at the ceremony.

If you really want to make it with your future spouse, maybe learn a little more about candle making and then make your own candle when you aren't dressed up. Getting the process right and the wicking is time consuming and doesn't happen in a blink of an eye. Also, pillar candles take several well timed pours as the wax shrinks as it cools, so you would have to take time after your ceremony to pour more wax, etc. etc. I don't mean to rain on your parade, so to speak.

I'm not sure what the traditional sand thing is, or the ice in the candle. I know that lots of books show ice candles, but I think they wouldn't burn well, but they look cool.

My husband and I have been married for 22 years, and we have a bottle of aged high end scotch that we share a shot each year to celebrate. So that bottle is now 34 year old scotch! We estimated this year that we will need to buy another bottle on our 25th anniversary to keep the tradition going.

I'm with Chefmom - not a good idea - for reasons she mentions plus you speak of keeping the wax on direct heat - another bad idea. If the temp isn't constantly monitored, it could get to hot and start a fire. Surely there is something different you could do short of using hot wax, especially since you are inexperienced with it.

I think you should find a local candle maker. I think it would be doable, if you find a wax you can pour at a decently low temperature, though it may not mix 100%, and find a low shrinking wax. The person can find the right wick, wax, container/mold etc and set everything up and melt the wax and maybe even hand you the wax at your wedding, along with teaching you everything beforehand so you both know what you are doing. I don't think you would be able to light it right away, but if you're not worried about it curing for scent or anything you may be able to burn it if you have some type of thing afterwards, or you could make an identical candle beforehand and burn that one. You could also do a sand candle and burn it :) I'm new at candle making, so I'm not positive about it, but I'm sure someone on here could figure it out, they do amazing things :)

I second that about using hot wax. However, as a suggestion, why not go with the granulated colored wax for it? It has the consistency of sand, but you are making a candle instead. If you wanted, you could find a candle maker that is familiar with the kind of wax you would be using so you could get the correct wick/jar combination.

Instead of hot wax you could use colored wax beads. Have a wicked candle ready. You each pour your own color into the wicked candle jar together. As you burn it the wax melts and melds together. No mess, a whole lot safer, and easier to clean in case of accidents.