wicks for feather palm pillar

CSN is the CandleScience Natural wick, and I'm pretty sure that it's exclusive to their company. Their site says that it's made by Wedo and it's designed for Palm waxes. Since they dropped Palm wax from their lineup they have stated that they will keep their wick, but one size was discontinued last fall, so they will probably only keep that wick series if it stays a viable product.

I was surprised that they don't offer that wick in raw wick spools, so I would contact them and see if they would either offer longer CSN pre-tabbed wicks or supply raw wick that you could prime with wax and tab yourself. Obviously people make palm pillars in taller sizes, so it only makes sense.

CSN wicks are doing well in my testing with beeswax blend pillars, but I hesitate to settle on that wick for the reasons I stated above.

CSN is the CandleScience Natural wick, and I'm pretty sure that it's exclusive to their company. Their site says that it's made by Wedo and it's designed for Palm waxes. Since they dropped Palm wax from their lineup they have stated that they will keep their wick, but one size was discontinued last fall, so they will probably only keep that wick series if it stays a viable product.

I was surprised that they don't offer that wick in raw wick spools, so I would contact them and see if they would either offer longer CSN pre-tabbed wicks or supply raw wick that you could prime with wax and tab yourself. Obviously people make palm pillars in taller sizes, so it only makes sense.

CSN wicks are doing well in my testing with beeswax blend pillars, but I hesitate to settle on that wick for the reasons I stated above.

Thank you all for the info.:grin2: I sent CS a e-mail but haven't gotten response yet.

I'm also going to look up wedo and precision wicking.:read:

Chefmom do you prime your wicks w/the wax you are using at that time or do you prime w/beeswax for all kinds of wax you use? I think I'm also going to try the CD just in case they do away :shocked2: w/the CSN'S, or do you use a different one?

Precision Wicking, Inc. Tel: 417-869-8888

CSN Series

The CSN series was designed especially for palm wax application.

Wow, while it's cool to read about more wicks out there.......and I wish I could get my hands on some of them, it's quite daunting to the little guy when they require a minimum order of 5,000 pieces, and it's 10,000 pieces for the CSN wicks.

The Aroma-Lite and Helix wicks look interesting.......

Chefmom do you prime your wicks w/the wax you are using at that time or do you prime w/beeswax for all kinds of wax you use? I think I'm also going to try the CD just in case they do away :shocked2: w/the CSN'S, or do you use a different one?

I have been playing with pillars for more than a year now. I started by playing with different wicks in straight 1343 and 4625 wax, but they both get a soft top and a buldge that I didn't like, so I moved onto my own blended recipes. I have been settling on a paraffin/soy blend that keeps it's shape better while burning.

I also have been doing beeswax pillars and I didn't like the inconsistency I had with each kind of beeswax, as well as each supplier. I know that each year, the hive's wax can be different and you have to test each wax, but I found that by making a blended beeswax pillar I can achieve more consistency when burning.

My top wicks for pillars are the flat braid, square braid and LX series. When I use a high proportion of beeswax I have found that the CSN wicks perform well, and have been at the top of my tests for 3-inch diameter beeswax pillars. When I use the LX wicks, I have been using Candlewic's and CandleSciences LX standard wicks. If I were to order these again, then I would order them from Candlewic and buy the custom wick with beeswax or high melt coating. I found the standard coating seems to relax in the melt pool and is making a slightly off center burn.

I prefer the flat braid for my 2-inch diameter pillars and when I use the flat or square braid, I buy it raw and I prime it myself with 100% white beeswax. I really like the beeswax prime and the wick stands straight in my pillars.

I first would just prime the wick as I was melting the wax to make the pillar, but through endless testing I found the ones that I primed in beeswax stood better. You don't have to use beeswax, I bought a high melt point wax sample from Peaks (forget the #), it's a 160* I think, and it works equally well. I melted the sample block down and poured it into 1 ounce blocks and then I just melt one block when I need it and prime the wicks and tab them myself.

Pillars burn so much differently than containers, and wicks that I thought would work for both, don't. I have been known to have 12-16 pillars going on my dining room table at one time through the day, while I play mad scientist and study the wicks. None of them are scented, I'm testing for wicks first, but I don't plan on making heavy scented pillars. To me, the containers are best with scent and pillars are great for color and atmosphere.

• 2 months later...

I have been a CSN user since I first started making Palm Wax candles. I am at the point of running out of the CSN that I had been using for my 3" diameter pillars so I have been frantically trying to find a replacement. For me - CD wicks seem to be the answer. I have been testing CD 12, 14 & 16 with my pillars and I have decided to go with CD 12. It gives the cleanest melt pool and leaves enough wall behind so that someone not paying attention to their candle burning will have less chance of a blow out. Here are some pictures of my most recent burn test. I have burned these candles 3 hours at a time - these pictures are after 12 hours of burning. Green is tortoise shell palm with CD 14 - Burgundy is tortoise shell palm with CSN 14 and blew out on the 4th burn - Red is CD14 - this looks like a future possible blow out and the melt pool is not a clean as the CD 12 - Blue is CD 16 and is kind of an ugly burn - the 4 color with white at the top is CD 12 - you can see how much cleaner and neater the burn is. Hope this helps!!

post-18025-139458511945_thumb.jpg

post-18025-139458511951_thumb.jpg

post-18025-139458511954_thumb.jpg

I do mak palm containters. I have used 9 oz Hex jars with CSN 16 wick and they work very well. I am just now starting to branch out to different size jars and wick testing for the Glass Glow Palm wax. It's tough!!

I have not tried the CD wicks in palm container candles yet, but I will....