The art of burning candles

Hi all,

I read a lot on how burning candles. I apply these simple rules, but I wanted to ask a few questions, as I intend to write a page on this argument on my site!

1) "The first time burn a pillar an hour for every inch of its diameter": ok, I do so, and it works fine, but we use metric, one inch is approx 2,5 centimeters, so what should I tell to my customers? Do I have to tell "burn a pillar an hour for every 2,5 cm of its diameter"? It's too complicated I think..

2)If the candle is square/rectangle, is the rule the same?

3)If the candle has a non-reg shape as pyramid, cone, sphere, what should I say?

TIA

1) "The first time burn a pillar an hour for every inch of its diameter": ok, I do so, and it works fine, but we use metric, one inch is approx 2,5 centimeters, so what should I tell to my customers? Do I have to tell "burn a pillar an hour for every 2,5 cm of its diameter"? It's too complicated I think..

Hi

I label my candles clearly as a 3 x 3 and 3 x 6 inch, even though we also work on the metric system in South Africa. If people as me why, I just say that I use imported molds for my candles. It sorts out this issue. HTH :cheesy2:

Thanks Katinka!

I'm always afraid italians are diffident with things they don't know, but maybe I'm wrong.

And also I have molds sized in inches and molds sized in cm, so the conversion is not so correct between the two.

Maybe as we use to say "I'm loosing myself in a glass of water"!

Hi Sabrina, I give out instructions saying to burn a candle one hour for each 2.5cm of its diameter, and say, for example, that a 7.5cm candle should be burned for 3 hours. I treat square candles the same and have no idea what to do with pyramids. I'll email you a copy of the word document I use (although I don't know how much use it will be seeing as its in english, however you're conversion skills look pretty good to me). Cheers, Mozz

Thanks Mozzie, I just read your labels.

I will do something similar, I have already a "warning" labels but on my labels I don't write how to burn a pillar.

I have to re do my labels, so this is the occasion to add information.

Just a qeustion, on your label you first write "trim wick to 0,75 cm" and then "keep wick trimmed at 0,5 cm".

Why this difference? I just say to trim it to 0,5 cm.

Thank you very much!!

but..pyramids?????;)

Just a qeustion, on your label you first write "trim wick to 0,75 cm" and then "keep wick trimmed at 0,5 cm". Why this difference? I just say to trim it to 0,5 cm.

Good spotting, I'll change it to "trim wick to 0.5cm". I think that I was probably making up my mind as to which length was best and forgot to change my instructions. As for pyramids ... :confused::undecided

On my pillars, which are most all 3" in diameter, I state to burn 3 to 4 hrs the first time. Pillars have a memory and it's very important that they reach full pool the first burn, even if it takes a big longer than 3 hours. For squares of the same size, same instructions. Can't help with pyramids.