problems with my latest cases of GB415

Same here. We had the last 2 cases out of 5 cause Problems. I know they were fresh because I was waiting at the supplier as the truck pulled in. Our problems were wicking. Thank god we test every batch because we had to wick up for whatever reason. Temeratures in the shop were the same as usual and the fragrance was from the same batch as the previous boxes of wax..I wanted to trash it because I was so aggrevated but didnt because we had orders to fill from a show. Banged my head against the wall for days trying to understand it. Drove me CRAZY!!!!! Keeping a close eye on it...

Mike

That's what my problem was .... Wicking. Ashamed to say but I never check each batch of wax . I never had to . Been doing this for years . New scents new colors of course but I never thought to test tried and true formulas. Lesson learned the hard way . I had to melt down 150 lbs of finished product slowly and start over .it was horrible I stressed for days . Was much more relaxed after I was sure they still had a great scent throw .

Would you mind sharing your procedure for testing new cases of wax? I am assuming you make one candle of a known good candle and that's it I hope .

Also curious what is the lot number on your boxes mine is c 10/17/12

Well, you know the saying, misery loves company.

Over the years I've noticed inconsistencies in the same brand of wax numerous times. As long as the wax falls within certain guidelines or a range relative to the specifications, then the batch is deemed appropriate or okay to be sold. I used to drive myself crazy becuase I would notice differences in the same brand of a given wax until a suppier/distributor explained the guidelines of the MSDS. That also reinforces the need to test every batch. Imagine the impact it could have on your customer base if your customers purchased candles that didn't burn properly because they wouldn't stay lit or whatever the problem was.

That's what my problem was .... Wicking. Ashamed to say but I never check each batch of wax . I never had to . Been doing this for years . New scents new colors of course but I never thought to test tried and true formulas. Lesson learned the hard way . I had to melt down 150 lbs of finished product slowly and start over .it was horrible I stressed for days . Was much more relaxed after I was sure they still had a great scent throw .

Would you mind sharing your procedure for testing new cases of wax? I am assuming you make one candle of a known good candle and that's it I hope .

Sorry to jump in the middle of your conversatioon, but I just had to add my commentary. Real sorry you had to melt down all of that finished product. I don't know if I could have done that. Hats off to you.

I certainly get that now. I always burn them before customers purely out of excitement for the seasonal change and because I can't wait . I guess I should be doing that before I make 150 pounds of spring scents ... :embarasse

Edited by lrbd

Sorry to jump in the middle of your conversatioon, but I just had to add my commentary. Real sorry you had to melt down all of that finished product. I don't know if I could have done that. Hats off to you.

I had to the money that would have cost me to just throw away :angry2::angry2: between wax , FO , jars .....

Don't be sorry about jumping in ...that's what this is all about

Edited by lrbd

Mine is the same lot and in another post about this I replied I have not had any issues except with 2 hard to wick fragrances - all the ones I have made(testers and for sale) have been normal- that is weird... But to answer your question about testing what I do is for every batch I make out of that box I do a tester jar and burn it before it goes to sale- I don't sell high volumes so its simple for me and I always have candles to burn around here

I have read some people only do this when one part of the candle is from a new batch ( wax, new bottle of FO, new bag of wicks etc.) but I do with it every single scent to he sure what I put out there is going to burn right and throw good

I do with it every single scent to he sure what I put out there is going to burn right and throw good

So I really understand... if i have 20 some odd spring and summer scents You would make 20 candles 1 of each scent , burn them to the end , and then proceed with your stock ? I use 6 different containers 3 of the 6 are the same diameter but still , holy molly

thanks for sharing

So I really understand... if i have 20 some odd spring and summer scents You would make 20 candles 1 of each scent , burn them to the end , and then proceed with your stock ? I use 6 different containers 3 of the 6 are the same diameter but still , holy molly

thanks for sharing

Yes that is what I do BUT I only use 1 jar and I don't fill it all the way for the tester- about 1/2 to 3/4

In your situation I probably would not so this with that much volume going out and different jars but maybe when you get a new box of wax or a new FO bottle make a couple testers to see if it performs the same...hopefully someone that sells a lot of volume will chime in with a good system for mass production

If I ever start really pushing the candle sales I will need a new system! Lol

• 2 weeks later...