Hemp & Sunflower oils

Bfly

Hello!

I haven't started soaping yet but I think I am ready. Plan on starting with HP.

I love what the Hemp oil does for my problem skin and was wondering how many of you use more than 10%? I read that for most, over 10% seems to cause DOS, also saw this applies to the Sunflower oil as well. For those that do use over 10% of these oils, do you believe another oil can possibly stop the DOS? I plan to start with 10% and experiment but jus wanted some insight, the hemp is pretty expensive.

Any other tips are more than welcome! I have read this forum up and down and have soapcalc'ed a few recipe ideas, feeling good bout getting started :D TIA

No there is nothing, oils or anything else, that will prevent DOS. Hemp oil has a very short shelf life and will turn rancid quickly. Once DOS starts there is nothing you can do to stop it and the soaps won't be sellable. You could use it yourself, but it can get pretty stinky. It's best just to throw them out IMHO. :cool2:

Thanks, Chris! Have you soaped with either if these oils with good results? My face jus really loves the hemp.... not sure how fast I would be able to use it up though :/

I also meant to ask if olive pomace would be alright for first time soaping in HP, I'm not doing any colors or anything so I fig it should be fine....?

I use Hemp oil at 15% - 20% with no dos, whith lard, palm, castor & coconut. (oils not listed in order) I usually add in some ROE to my gallon of hemp when I get in and keep it in the fridge. I have kept hemp up to a year and a half this way without the hemp going rancid

I use Hemp oil at 15% - 20% with no dos, whith lard, palm, castor & coconut. (oils not listed in order) I usually add in some ROE to my gallon of hemp when I get in and keep it in the fridge. I have kept hemp up to a year and a half this way without the hemp going rancid

What is ROE?

Hemp oils shelf life can be prolonged in the fridge but once added to soap it is short lived, it is very volatile.

You can use olive pomace with hp and cp. I had always used extra virgin olive oil until recently and I love pomace so much more now.

Edited by TexasBrat

I always have hemp soap in stock and have yet to have it go rancid. I actually have one I put away almost a year ago and it is still fine. I do keep superfat at 5%. Who knows, maybe my eo blend and my oil combination help deter problems. Sunflower oil has given me problems with dos at times

Awesome, thanks guys!

Carolyn, I had read about the ROE but then someone stated that they didn't really notice much change. I think I read somewhere else they recommend 1/10 of tsp (can't member for sure) pp...? Anyhow, do you have a suggestion of how much ROE you use in your hemp and is it noticeable scent wise?

Texas Brat, ROE is rosemary oleoresin extract. Thanks for the olive remark, wasn't sure if it would trace too quick.

Soycrazy, do you prefer one method over the other? I know CP is great for colors, but I'm not worried about that.

I plan to superfat 7% so maybe a combo of the HP and ROE will be ok for me, fingers crossed. Now to find the right prices! Thanks again for all your help!

Edited by Bfly

• 2 weeks later...

I use a lot of hemp oil in my soaps too and have never had dos, I also use canola, a combination that

may sound scary to some, but has been my main recipe for over 15 years without problems. 10% is a

good addition for your first soap, but don't be afraid to use a bit more.

Thanks guys! Ok, so I won't go over 5% superfat :) Lol, I have some rice bran that I was planning on using but at a small %. Jus ordered the hemp, soaping soon! :)

Dilly, do you use ROE as well?