Grrrrr.... FL's ^#*!*$! Cosmetic Regulations.

MoonShadow

A cosmetic manufacturer permit is required for any person that manufactures or repackages cosmetics in Florida. The fee is $800 for two years plus a one-time pre-permit inspection fee of $150.

So simply adding a fragrance to a cosmetic base manufactured by, let's say, WSP, is considered "repackaging and would require a permit.

What is a “cosmetic”? A cosmetic is an article, with the exception of soap, that is: (a) intended to be rubbed, poured, sprinkled, or sprayed on; introduced into; or otherwise applied to the human body or any part thereof for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness or altering the appearance; or (
B)
intended for use as a component of any such article.

So my question is, are things like bath teas, bath bombs, bath salts that are not intended to be directly placed on the skin considered "cosmetics?"

Here's a quickie copy/paste job from the Florida info...

3. The department shall adopt rules related to storage, handling, and recordkeeping requirements for manufacturers of medical devices for human use.

® Cosmetic manufacturer permit.—A cosmetic manufacturer permit is required for any person that manufactures or repackages cosmetics in this state. A person that only labels or changes the labeling of a cosmetic but does not open the container sealed by the manufacturer of the product is exempt from obtaining a permit under this paragraph.

499.015 Registration of drugs, devices, and cosmetics; issuance of certificates of free sale.—(1)(a) Except for those persons exempted from the definition of manufacturer in s. 499.003(31), any person who manufactures, packages, repackages, labels, or relabels a drug, device, or cosmetic in this state must register such drug, device, or cosmetic biennially with the department; pay a fee in accordance with the fee schedule provided by s. 499.041; and comply with this section. The registrant must list each separate and distinct drug, device, or cosmetic at the time of registration.

(B) The department may not register any product that does not comply with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, as amended, or Title 21 C.F.R. Registration of a product by the department does not mean that the product does in fact comply with all provisions of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, as amended.

© The fee for a cosmetic manufacturer permit may not be less than $250 or more than $400 annually.

(13) “Cosmetic” means an article, with the exception of soap, that is:(a) Intended to be rubbed, poured, sprinkled, or sprayed on; introduced into; or otherwise applied to the human body or any part thereof for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or altering the appearance; or

(B) Intended for use as a component of any such article.

I guess the states are not waiting for the feds to pass the Safe Cosmetic bill...I wonder if working out of your kitchen will pass inspection?

The more I read the regs, it appears that in FL if you want to sell anything other than "True Soap" in the Bath & Body category of hand crafts, you CAN'T work out of your kitchen.

The more I read the regs, it appears that in FL if you want to sell anything other than "True Soap" in the Bath & Body category of hand crafts, you CAN'T work out of your kitchen.

This is true. I think there are only a couple states like Florida that don't allow you to work out of your home. It sucks.