Hi folks, just joined and I am looking to make some soy containers...

Hi Mike, welcome! We've used only 464 from my start, MANY ups and downs but LOVE 464!! Let me see if I can give you a starting point, but I need a bit more information. Sounds like you've made candles in the past, is this your first try at 464 or soy for that matter? What have you tried so far? What wicks are you using? Jar type?

As far as peaks and CS there are MANY here that use both, me included, they're both great IMO, for different things.

Give me a bit more info and I can try to help you.

Thanks for the response, yes, I have made paraffin in the past, first time with soy. I used the old Candle Tech board years ago under the user name Madd Mikey and made candles and CP soap. I am not using anything now as I am about to order some product Monday so I can start testing later in the week. I have two glass jars, one is 2.75 inches x 5 inches tall and the other is 3.0 x 4 inches tall. Some jars are colored but most are clear and I don't think I will use any color in the wax, just FO. Gonna start with coffee, clean cotton and red currant as my main Fo's to pour. I still have my presto pot and equipment. I still have some FO's but not sure if they will good to use(8 years old) but they have been in an air conditioned room the whole time.

Thanks again and

Guest OldGlory

Hi Mike. I'm a 464 user and might be of some help.

I buy my wax from Aztec because it's close to home and I don't have to pay shipping. Most of these companies get wax from the same sources, so you might want to do some practice runs on the shopping carts and see how much the shipping adds to your total. If I had to have it shipped, that would be my #1 concern.

I also buy Premier wicks from Aztec. I use mostly 767's and 790's in 8 oz tins which are about 3" in diameter. Most of the FOs I use are perfect with 767's, but heavier FOs will need the 790.

Additionally, I get most of my FOs from Aztec. I go thru a LOT of fragrance, so the 2 lb bottles are a great price for me.

With so many of us pouring 464 you should be able to get some pretty solid recommendations on which FOs will work and which won't.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response, yes, I have made paraffin in the past, first time with soy. I used the old Candle Tech board years ago under the user name Madd Mikey and made candles and CP soap. I am not using anything now as I am about to order some product Monday so I can start testing later in the week. I have two glass jars, one is 2.75 inches x 5 inches tall and the other is 3.0 x 4 inches tall. Some jars are colored but most are clear and I don't think I will use any color in the wax, just FO. Gonna start with coffee, clean cotton and red currant as my main Fo's to pour. I still have my presto pot and equipment. I still have some FO's but not sure if they will good to use(8 years old) but they have been in an air conditioned room the whole time.

Thanks again and

Sorry for the delay....on the road this week. OK, good information. We have ended up using only CD wicks, I didn't see where you indicated which wicks you were going to try, sorry if I missed that. We will use ECO's in smaller containers, but mostly CD. Right off the bat I would test a CD10 first, not sure if I would use your 8 year old FO's you can get some 2oz sizes to test. I get our GB464 wax from CS. We do not add anything to our 464, no color, additives, etc., it took a ton of testing different pouring temps. One of the best things, for me, is that you can pour the 464 at warmer temps and doing that has made a big difference. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions, I will try to help when I can. Have fun!

I think I will get some new FO and test with the old and new and see what happens. I am not looking to do color or additives either. Have you used the premier wicks like OldGlory talks about?

Thanks

Mike

Good idea on the new FO's, sorry, my only wick experience is with ECO and CD wicks. I will be interested to hear about your test....old FO vs. New (as long as everything else is the same) so you can see if there is any change using the old. I really hope you enjoy your first soy....464 experience...I am hooked!!

Susan

On the CD wicks, I can't find any 8 inch. I have a few containers that I need larger than 6. I say an Eco 10 at 10 inch and what do you think about that in a 4 inch dia. container? Can I get the Eco on a roll and make my own? Looking at my containers, I see about 20 percent of what I am doing will be needing more than a 6 inch wick.

What do ya think?

Good idea on the new FO's, sorry, my only wick experience is with ECO and CD wicks. I will be interested to hear about your test....old FO vs. New (as long as everything else is the same) so you can see if there is any change using the old. I really hope you enjoy your first soy....464 experience...I am hooked!!

Susan

On the CD wicks, I can't find any 8 inch. I have a few containers that I need larger than 6. I say an Eco 10 at 10 inch and what do you think about that in a 4 inch dia. container? Can I get the Eco on a roll and make my own? Looking at my containers, I see about 20 percent of what I am doing will be needing more than a 6 inch wick.

What do ya think?

Well the ECO 10 is a bit out of my comfort range, I only use ECO wicks on tough to wick FO's and containers, on our 4" containers i only use CD's. So, sorry not much help in the ECO area, but here is the link to where we get our CD wicks, and looks they they offer on roll http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Candle-Making/CD-8-Heinz-Coreless-Wick

hope this helps.....