M&P experts: I have a few odd questions

Ivy

Hi guys(smile) ...I am making something for someone. (still in the creative thinking process)... It will not be used as soap-wet... I want it to be more pretty and highly scented and I'm still not sure if it will go in the powder room(humidity) or in another room...How's that for indecisive? lmao

Is there something that can be added to m&p that would make it harder (not so easily dented etc)without clouding it? I'm willing to experiment..I'll be using wsp's crystal clear base. I don't think oilive oil would make it hard enough?

2nd- If it's not being used as soap..Does anybody know how much of a fragrance load it can handle without growing two heads or anything? lol

I would also like to paint-tint some accents on it... I've seen it done on youtube but, I have no idea what they're using or if it will brush off/cover the scent?

Lastly, ( I promise lol) Does anyone know or can suggest anything to try to adhere/glue pieces of m&p together? (gorilla glue?)...Thanks you so much for any help.

Guest OldGlory

As indicated at the above, the site says you'll need to wrap that soap in airtight wrap. Are you wanting find a soap you can leave unwrapped?

Ty for the link Linda, I did see that the highest FO load could be 6%

. And yes Glory I need it to be kept unwrapped. Kind of an art piece..I think I may have to just test it....I'll have to tell her that her birthday present may be a yr or so late lmao

Guest OldGlory

Is there a reason you want to make scented M&P instead of something else scented?

BlacktieAffair makes the coolest dipped TP - it's something you just set out as decorative, and it gives off scent. Then there's dipped teddy bears or other dipped things. You can search for dipped TP, or dipped animals.

I have people buy my M&P soaps all the time that tell me they like to place the bar on a dish to scent the room. I make them buy 2 bars and promise me they will wash with one and use the other for home scenting. LOL

Honestly, you don't need to do anything. Clear M&P is hard enough. Just add a tablespoon of FO to 1 lb of base. Use soap paints to accent or make embeds to in the soap. I'd also make more of a square or round soap if its going to sit a long time in a dish. A rectangular bar will bend eventually due to the shrinkage of the soap over time as moisture evaporates.

Thanks you guys, knowing that you actually make soap just to scent a room helps.... Actually OldGlory I have made dipped bears and TP is still on my list ( love blackties work, very talented)...

I've just been thinking of ways to combine my love of art with my new love of b&b.. I have a lot of sculpting tools, faux finshing tools etc..I think M&P would be the perfect vehicle to play with scent-color and shape...Those questions were just ones that I could not find any answers to no matter how much searching I did...

I figure If whatever I make is going to start loosing scent/bending/sweating/DOS or growing mold ect within 3-6 months. I'd probably not want to put hours of work into it lol

Edited by Ivy