Oil based?

FallenCandle

Guest OldGlory

Oil based as opposed to....? water based? I'm pretty sure water based FOs would separate/not blend with wax.

I've have not purchased FOs from Peak yet, so I can't speak to their products. All of the FOs I've purchased from other companies are oil based.

Guest OldGlory

I agree, there are no dumb questions when you are learning a new craft. Well, perhaps the ones that you don't ask..

Re: how strong they are -

You can do a search for specific fragrances and see if there are any reviews on them. Also, some FOs work well in soy, some in paraffin, and not neccessarily in both. You are really much better off testing every FO for yourself, in your waxes, with your wicks, and whatever additives you use. You can also ask for reviews on specific fragrances in specific waxes. The more specific you are, the better your responses will be. You can look up my Gum drops thread to get an example of the type of responses you might get. People here are very helpful!

Peak's fragrance oils are excellent, you will be pleased with the quality. While I don't love every scent, I recommend them highly. My only complaint is I miss the fact they won't ship any oils by Post Office anymore.

I'm actually surprised that other suppliers actually will still ship FO's by USPS.

We have had so many issues at our PO with shipping candles and FO's that I will no longer use USPS either. I now only offer USP Ground service as a shipping option for candles and flammables.

I find it very annoying that the postal employee has to know; "What's in the box?".

UPS, in my opinion is a much more convenient carrier and as long as you use ground there's no issues with flashpoints and flammables and fragile items if properly labeled.

I like UPS.

I guess it all depends on where you live as far as convenience on getting your shipments.

All of the standard carriers pass my door every week day. My wife can ship packages by UPS at her job. They pick-up daily there. I'm lucky, I suppose.

In reference to water-based fragrances. Would potpouree (sp?) fragrances serve your purpose or would they be too diluted?

JMO/HTH

Dave

Guest OldGlory
Are their any supplies that DO water-based fragrances? I'd be interested in trying them.

There were water based fragrances at one time - found some thru an online resource. I can't remember who it was, but it seems like it was a big craft supply place. I was interested in using them in b&b products. I found them to be weaker than the oils.

There were water based fragrances at one time - found some thru an online resource. I can't remember who it was, but it seems like it was a big craft supply place. I was interested in using them in b&b products. I found them to be weaker than the oils.

B&B was what I planned on using them for as well. I've been searching for a supplier a while now. I don't know why more supplies don't carry water-based fragrances. I would just add some poly20 or FO modifier and call it day, but then the FO would be diluted.

I wish I COULD find a manufacturer or supplier of water-based fragrances. It would open the door to offering an entire new line of products to my customers.

Edited by rctfavr3

Peak's fragrance oils are excellent, you will be pleased with the quality. While I don't love every scent, I recommend them highly. My only complaint is I miss the fact they won't ship any oils by Post Office anymore.

If I were an FO supplier I would only ship by UPS or Fedex. Too many oils have a FP under 200 degrees and aren't allowed to go on any flights. That, plus people ordering tend to hit the cheapest shipping option available when ordering forgetting which oils can ship by air and which absolutely must ship ground. It must be a pain in the butt for those suppliers that offer both ground and air on FOs.