Feeling lost with Palm Wax!

Hello everyone!

I have been avoiding posting because, despite trying to do my own research, I am banging my head against the wall. I started making candles a few months ago (well attempting to make candles I should say). I am using palm wax and typically make about a pound at a time. I use a drop of liquid dye (sometimes more or less...it usually depends) and about 10% fragrance oil. The finished product is a bit disappointing; they never burn right! It seems as though it may be the wick, but I have tried a few different types that are supposedly for my jar size. I cannot seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. Hopefully with some advice, I can get back on track and out of this failing spree!

You can view the main picture here (I wanted to attach it, but the file was too large):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91381142@N02/

-Jamie

You may have a container palm that holds more than 5-6% but the ones I've used recommend only using that much. They do have wonderfult HT with 1 oz pp or less even. Do you know which supplier it came from? If so, they normally specify on waxes what the percentage maximum FO load should be.

First of all, it is normal for the tops of the candles to burn through the hard palm wax on the surface somewhat how your pictures appear. The green one appears about the best. Yellow not so much.

However, unless it is the picture causing the candles to look different it appears as if you have air voids under the surface and the wicks off center.

If you do have air gaps in there it could be a dangerous situation. There are two ways to take care of that (hopefully). One is called wrecking the tops where you break them up to relieve the air and do a repour. The other is to cool the containers upside down on a cooling rack or something of that sort. Its a little tricky knowing when its time to turn them over but the best way I know is to push lightly on the surface and if no liquid wax comes through then I flip them and they will hold.

Chandlers who make palm candles use a variety of wicks such as CD, CDN and a few other. Maybe some will chime in here. I used CSN wicks from CS and found I liked them the best but also could not get a burn on the containers where the flame stayed small enough or stable enough to where they made me a little nervous. It was nothing horrible but the flame would stretch up more than I was comfortable with for selling. I did not have that problem with palm pillars using the same wicks for some reason.

I hope you get this worked out because they really make beautiful, great HT candles.

GL & HTH

Jeanie must be a mind reader - that's exactly what I was thinking - the flame hit the void. I don't flip or wait until the tops are set to "wreck" them. I will break the thin top layer of hardened wax several times as it is cooling and then do a top-off.

If I'm using CSN wicks I will off-set the wicks a bit to compensate for the curl but only 1/4 inch or so. Seems like the ones in the pic are off-set more than that.

TreatYourNose ~ I would be interested in knowing what type wax and wicks you are using. May be able to offer more help.

Is that what the wick looks like after it is trimmed? My wicks are always a little longer than that while burning. If those have not been trimmed maybe you need to wick up. I have seen candles do that if the wick is too small.

I always flip mine. Found it is a lot easier. For me anyway.

If I'm using CSN wicks I will off-set the wicks a bit to compensate for the curl but only 1/4 inch or so. Seems like the ones in the pic are off-set more than that.

Yep, forgot alllll about that.

I twisted mine in containers pre-tabbed and held that way with wick securer and for pillars would twist after letting sit in the hot wax a minute or two, then holding a few seconds until it cooled. They stayed twisted for me that way so I was able to use wick pins.

Palm has become a big part of our line this year. I agree that 10% is a bit steep, and most wicks just won't handle it in that wax. I'm working on testing the new Helix series to see if I can tweak the FO level up a bit. I'm running mine currently at a little less than 6%. Your wicks don't look to me like they were entirely centered to start with, especially with the green and yellow candles. But that could just be the effect of air pockets, like was previously suggested. So, I have a couple questions. Which wick/wax are you using? How long did you let it burn? It appears as if it is tunneling, which could be an air pocket, or a problem with how big the wick is, or if there was a draft in the area when you were burning them. I had to actually check the areas of my home with an incense stick to find a non drafty area for when the heat or swamp cooler was on (both forced air units.)

Hello

Not sure which wick you are using but I have had great success in making pillars and jar candles using the RRD wicks.

Definitely need to "dip" the wick to put the flame out though or the wicks will become brittle and break very easily.

• 4 months later...

You are not alone here:smiley2:. When I started out 5mo ago I had the exact same thing as you. This site has the most educated people that will help you through this. I have learned different way's of trying to fix this. I have done everything that is suggested and I found for me the CSN's work good @ 5% and I also flip them (that is just something that works for me).

Be careful flipping them at first I had a MESS but took time and figured it out.

Like the senior chandlers said wrecking the top also will work good.

I am still working on them to get it to burn all the way down and this site has taught me everything that I know. The one thing everyone has taught me is to TEST TEST TEST.

Hang in there 'cause It will get better and there is ALWAYS someone here that will help you w/anything you need. I love:bow: them for helping me but I still got a long way to go.

Soon you will be doing this*super banana*

God bless,

Suzan

I have been making palm wax candles for years and really love how it burns and the throw. I just started using Glass Glow for containers and had a bit of a problem. Someone on the board suggested I hadn't let it burn long enough for the mp to get started. She was so right. I let it burn for 4 hrs then the candle did fine. I use the CSN wicks and they seem to work the best for me.

Cindy

Your picture of the pillars are beautiful:bow: I haven't tried anything like that.

I am way to new at this. I too use the GG but still working on getting the wicks to stay straight and the jar not to get so hot. I use the CSN's too. I think I'm going to try and twist the wick and see what happens. Any tips would be great. I'm so happy for you that they burn good.:yay:Do you have a pic of them?