Firestarters and potpourri question

SuzyK

I just made some firestarters! yay! I had read on here that many of you use potpourri so on a couple of the ones I made, I put potpourri on top instead of a pinecone. I just read the package and it said that the potpourri is combustible and to stay away from flames. Is there a special kind that you use?

There's no way I am going to make my own, but those are really cool! I need it to be as simple as possible. I got the potpourri from the dollar store but it's scented. They didn't have unscented. It's never exploded then? Lol. My boyfriend said he'd love to test them so we'll see.

Thank you!

Edited by SuzyK

Okay, I admit I am not a candle maker, and I guess I am missing something here, but I thought the point of a firestarter was to have material that is combustible and pinecones are very compustible with all the sap on them (at least fresh cones). Please correct me if I am wrong. I have been considering making fire starters from soy wax my daughter bought (25lbs of it) and decided she did not like to make candles.

Okay, I admit I am not a candle maker, and I guess I am missing something here, but I thought the point of a firestarter was to have material that is combustible and pinecones are very compustible with all the sap on them (at least fresh cones). Please correct me if I am wrong. I have been considering making fire starters from soy wax my daughter bought (25lbs of it) and decided she did not like to make candles.

Your so right, why would Suzy think combustible is a bad thing. If it said NON then I'd worry. 25 lbs is going to make a ton of starters, I use mostly soy in mine. Have about 5-50 lb boxes of various waxes in the garage I should get rid of. These waxes aren't good for anything but fire starters, it's so old. Could donate but not worth shipping.

Now I have a question about firestarters. Before getting a good laugh at my dumb questions, please remember I am not a candlemaker only a soapmaker. I am trying to use up soy wax that my daughter purchased when she thought she would make candles, that never happened and here sits 25 lbs of soy wax...anyhoo she has some spools of un-waxed cotton wicking and I would like to know if I need to dip this wicking in wax before using in the firestarters. By the way, my last experience with making candles was sand candles in the late 60's...oops age is really showing. I do admit I was good at sand candles but, lol, they left lots of room for error!!

Thankyou