464 and CS Christmas Hearth

Anyone have issues with this particular fo in this wax? Naturally, it's my #1 seller this time of year and also gives me the most headaches. :tongue2: No matter what, I almost always have to remelt them in the oven to fix horrible-looking wet spots and weird frosting (I don't even use dye). I have a really big batch to make for a store and would like to not have to scent my oven with all of them! Just thought I'd see if anyone figured out how to tame this beast...or if it just doesn't like me.

I haven't used that FO but when I did use 464 I had a couple FO's that would not play nice like that!

What worked for me was heat to 180 and don't let the temp fall under 175 When you add your FO and constant stir until pour - I poured at 140 with that wax with picky FO and into heated jars - sometimes some tops- not all go figure - would still be horrible looking and I just zapped them with a heat gun and they were fine

Other FO I could just stir here and there and pour at 150 with perfect tops- so maybe that will help some- and maybe someone that has used that FO can help more

FO has more to do with frosting than wet spots which 464 loves to do. Wet spots are caused by the wax pulling away from the glass and the only thing that helps with that is preheating the glass. This is still no positive solution as temperature changes with induces wet pots. On the other hand, I've never had a complaint about wet spots so I don't worry about them. As for 464 tops, I rarely have a bad one and I pour at 165.

Very mysterious. I also add fo at 180, pour at 155, keep my room temp at 75, stir, stir...pour very slowly...it's only this particular fo that gets the strange effects. (I don't really worry about wet spots either--actually I had my room too cool when that happened. I just mentioned it because it's more common with this fo for some reason.) But as for the bad appearance, it seems to be from little air bubbles getting trapped in there making things look funky. They pop to the surface when I remelt. NONE of the 30+ other fo's I use do this, and I pour extremely slowly, pound the jar on the counter, all those nice little things, as well as keeping that steady 75* temp as they cool on wire shelving. Oh well. Just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else found this one to be a little troublemaker. I know it doesn't make sense for an fo to have air bubble problems, but there it is! I'll try pouring at 165 with this one, see if it helps...or maybe at 140, lol...

Edited by Catlover

I don't pour candles very often, but I do use 464 and I also have candles made with CS Christmas Hearth. My temps are virtually the same as yours (though my house temp is usually around 68-70), and I do dye. I also pour in tins. I have had various FO's doing the bubbles at random. No one scent in particular. One pour they do, another pour they don't. Sometimes I'll pour a number of candles from the same pot and a couple will bubble, others won't. The slower I pour, and keeping them further apart when they cool, seems to help. I think it's all just to play with our heads!

I use 444 and cs christmas hearth. Have not observed more frosting on cs ch vs others. Heat to 185, add frag and pour 150-155. I never have had wet spots on candles recently - except a few months ago. I used to wash glassware in dishwasher but now just spritz windex

For me it is just as good and windex gets them squeeky clean which helps with adhesion for me.

I also use 464 and have had success CS Christmas Hearth. I add the FO at 185-190 degrees and only allow the wax to cool to about 175 degrees when I pour. I very rarely have any wet spots and have never had frosting. Every now and then the tops will have indentions.

Sounds like we're doing basically the same thing. Beginning to think I had a weird couple of bottles, if that's possible. I just made 16 with this fragrance, some from the remainder of the bottle that was open, the others from a new one. Yep...some acted up, some didn't. Grrrrr.... I've heard of funky wax batches, but never funky fo's. Guess anything can happen.