Candle Science clamshells

Ravens

Debuted the 6 cavity jumbo at a show today; sold as many as the standard size, but it seemed a super odd show for us; mostly soapies, then jar candles, and warmers. I'll be curious to see how these do; I'm thinking my regulars are going to love big batches of their favorite scents. I still have to go through the orders my helper took today at the show, but I did see several for those in the register. Love to hear input!

.39 each isn't a bad price! Wonder what co-op pricing is on the 12 cavity:smiley2:

Edited by B@BlissStreet

I'd be interested to see what you guys are thinking of charging for the jumbos. I ordered several of them to test market, but when I figured my price using Excel, it came to almost exactly twice that of the smaller clamshells because I get them for such a good price ordering full cases. I want to sell the large ones for less than twice what the smaller ones sell for, to make them look like a bargain!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

might be slightly off topic but my question is still with clamshells. I am looking at using these but I am wondering how you test your wax ( I would think it has to be somewhat similar to doing a burn test for a votive. You would have to ensure the wax has a good throw? Also is the hot wax ( I use Soy ) poured directly into the mold?

might be slightly off topic but my question is still with clamshells. I am looking at using these but I am wondering how you test your wax ( I would think it has to be somewhat similar to doing a burn test for a votive. You would have to ensure the wax has a good throw? Also is the hot wax ( I use Soy ) poured directly into the mold?

When I test an FO, I only make enough for 2 portion cups. That way I don't waste wax/FO.

You pour the wax into the clamshell around 150°.

Okay, but how do you test a wax melt to see if the throw is good? Make the tart and burn in a tart warmer? I imagine in this case you are just making sure that the Fragrance is not too strong?

I was testing new FOs by making a tart and a votive out of the same little batch of wax. If it didn't have excellent HT in the tart warmer I knew it was going to be light when put in a candle with a wick. Something about a tart warmer (imo) brings out the HT better than a wick. Just my experience.....

I don't want them too strong to where eyes burn but want them strong enough. Sometimes I've backed down the amount of FO in tarts so they didn't blast ppl in the face when they walked in the door and other times I've upped the percentage to get a stronger HT. Had many FOs that didn't have HT in a candle but did good in tarts.

When I test my actual tarts with the wax blend then they get made out of that blend and I look for HT plus longevity.

Have found the ones made out of just my container wax do not have the longevity the ones do with the tart blend that has 4625 in it.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

Even an old dummy like me can help with this one;

As far as fragrance strength goes;

1.) "OOB" How a fragrance oil (FO) smells in the bottle. Not sure who came up with "out of bottle". Maybe that's how some folks like to sniff it.

2.) "CT" This is how strongly a fragrance appears to be or "throws" when added to wax in a concentration that the chandler is using to make their products. The wax is cool when this is determined or measured in the opinion of the chandler and/or "testers".

3.) "HT" You were right! "Hot Throw" is how strongly a frangrance smells or

throws" once a "melt pool" (for candles) or a tart becomes liquid when heated.

I had been making candles for years before I learned some of this terminology and what the abbreviations all meant when I joined my first candle board.

I hate to admit this, but I'm still learning, too!

JMO/HTH (OOPS! "Just my opinion. Hope this helps"

Happy Candle Making!

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles