How to use Perfumer's Alcohol?

Guest PassionSunKiss

Guest PassionSunKiss

I'm thinking about diving into perfume making and I've been doing recon work...you know, going into the local stores and read/take pictures of ingredients of perfumes :rolleyes2. They mostly contain a variety of Alcohol Denat. (perfumer's alcohol), FCO, Fragrance, and Water.

My questions are: dont you need a preservative with water? A lot of these don't have preservatives when they contain the alcohol, yet they claim they're perfumes not body splashes.

What percentage of each ingredient would I need to use? I could just play with it, but I honestly don't have the money to screw up :sad2:

Edited by PassionSunKiss

Guest OldGlory

Good morning!

Each company that sells perfumer's alcohol provides thorough instructions for the safe use and handling of the product. You only add FO to the one I use, and you let it sit for a period of time to allow the fragrance to macerate (blend properly). (AH/RE) And I am very pleased with the results.

Nobody wants to waste money, but there is always a process of testing because fragrance oils are not the same - and there are sooo many fragrance oils. My suggestion would be to measure in grams to begin with and go by percentages of FO to perfumers alcohol. Start with the weakest combination because you can add to it until you get the strength you want.

Hopefully some others who make perfumes will chime it too.

Perfumers alcohol is spendy - and not simple to find any more. OldGlory is right - there's a learning curve.

If your blend contains at least 25% alcohol, technically no preservative is needed - though there is a shelf life of that blend. If you're selling what you make, just be sure you know the DOT shipping rules and restrictions as alcohol is considered HAZMAT. To complicate things more, each post office interprets the laws differently.

I'd start with roll on perfumes. No ATF rules. Much less shipping headache and much simpler to master. Jojoba oil is a great base carrier oil. Just follow the max usage rates for the EO/FO to make sure you're within safe limits for direct skin application.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...