Help help help!!

Ok, i need some advice and help here! I have sold candles for over 10 years now. But Im a home based business. Do most selling online and locally. But I just got an email from an employee for a major company!!! They want 50-100 candles for holiday gifting. They want their company logo on the label, holiday bow. They want it in a gift box, which they want inside a velvet bag, with a happy holidays gift card.

Here is the email i got from them:

I have attached a lo res photo of our logo. We are looking to have about 50-100 custom candles made with our logo for holiday gifting. Please send me a template or vision of what your company can do for us. We are looking to only spend about 5 dollars per candle with gift cards and packaging. I look forward to your email.

Ok i will be honest here, I have done lots of custom orders and put the companies logo on the label, special packaging etc, but I do not have all of these things on hand to put together by tomorrow and email her a "prototype". Im not even sure how to go about this or what to tell her.

Do you all think im in over my head or do you have any helpful suggestions or advice?

Okay, then I'm not missing anything! lol Yea, I'd be responding very nicely that while I appreciate their interest I wouldn't be able to fulfill their requests at $5 per candle. That's crazy - all the 'extras' would practically cost that much!

They want a card, a bow, a gift box, and a velvet bag - and want to spend $5 each? Geez, I must be missing something... :tiptoe:

Uh YEAH ! But we're BOTH missing something. And they want it in ONE day? Just exactly who is this person within the company that emailed asking for this stuff and no offense, they are either really clueless or really pushy to want something that fast, with no warning other than 24 hours.

I'd have to say "Thanks but no thanks" . I'd be afraid if they were this pushy wanting something this fast for such a low price, I can only imagine what pains in the asses they are going to be if you try to fill the order.

They don't want the full order tomorrow, they want a prototype or at least a discussion about what can be done.

I'd get on the phone and actually get some answers before blowing this off. You never know what you can negotiate using your voice versus making assumptions from what was written in an email.

Just my experience....

Good luck! Sounds like it could turn into something of a great opportunity.

I agree w/Talltayl !! Do some research and figure out what YOU need per candle in order to make this a win/win situation. You know that a company who wants your product is going to want to pay as little as possible and I would THINK that they would expect you to come back to them with a counter-offer. As much as candle supplies cost and adding in all the "xtras"...you wouldn't make a dime, you would actually go "in the hole" w/$5 each. Bring them back to the table, plead your case...you are an experienced chandler creating for them an excellent product made w/top of the line scents etc and in order to make a beautiful product that they and you would be happy with you need $ __ each. If they agree, I would tell them that you need 1/2 of the money so that you can order product. (That is something else that I would think they would expect) Good Luck Joy of Soy and please keep us posted!!:)

Edited by puma52

Hi everyone! Thanks for the input! Yes, they want a prototype by tomorrow. I think in a very professional way I am going to do my best to say that I can meet all their requests however, I am not quite sure of the most professional way of letting them know I can not produce a "mock up" of what they want by tomorrow. Im just trying to figure out how to correctly word this lol. I can produce a great product in the manner they are requesting, but not a picture of what that looks like by tomorrow lol....... and the price, yeah....im going to have to look into all this.

They don't specify the size and type of candle. Designing the card will take time, but once designed, no big deal.

Would a votive fit their needs? Velvet bag, around .50c each. You might consider making them yourself. Box, maybe .35c each.

By tomorrow? No way.

Price-wise, it's definitely doable. You won't make much but it's a chance for decent advertising. Since by law your contact info has to be somewhere on the product, it might pay off. You should already know exactly how much it costs you to produce a candle. Add the cost of packaging and go from there. If you do decide to do the order, get at least 50% up front. That way, your costs are covered in case they bail on you. And draw up a contract. Treat it like a fundraiser.

But again, by tomorrow? Not a chance.

Having said all that, I personally wouldn't even respond, and I most definitely would NOT have opened an attachment from a stranger. But that's just me.

One of the hardest lessons we learned is that you cannot be all things to all people. Tell them, thank you very much, but at this time you cannot help them with their needs. I question why they are giving you so little time for so little money (translate to little to no profit). We have companies/individuals contact us often with similar requests. If we can do it without bending over too much, we give them our price; they can except or go somewhere else. We don't want every bit of business we can get... only the profitable ones that do not cause much distress. BTW, that's also why we got out of doing weddings. :)

Don't sell yourself short. Don't rationalize that this "gets your name out there". They will only come back to you next year for more and cheaper. When someone says to us that this is an opportunity for US to get our name "out there", red flags go up. You are a business.

Wow, they don't want a lot do they!! I would tell them to go to Walmart buy a candle, a box, bow and the velvet bag and have someone make their custom label then call you back and tell you how much they had to pay. LOL!! I think they are big time cheepskate's, sorry for the rant but people like this just pisses me off!!

One of the hardest lessons we learned is that you cannot be all things to all people.

Don't sell yourself short. Don't rationalize that this "gets your name out there". They will only come back to you next year for more and cheaper. When someone says to us that this is an opportunity for US to get our name "out there", red flags go up. You are a business.

Superbly said - agreed 1000%

I would be very careful with this. I am a 15 year old homebased business that does internet sales only. Over the years, I have done special orders for many companies, national sports events functions, high end restaurants, yacht & country clubs, universities, etc....you get the idea...and not one of them EVER approached me via an email for first contact. They always called for the initial contact. Then, if needed, they would send templates, logos and such via an email. The buyer for the organization would give me a credit card with their name AND the company's name on it, if we reached an agreement and decided to proceed. The billing and shipping address attached to the card were the business address. Or they sent me a certified bank check from a nationally known bank.

But that's if this turns out to be legitimate. Can you check the source isp of the email thru your email provider? I got a large order inquiry just the other day, supposedly from a well known Austrian company, and when I check the isp thru the email, and checked my hidden counters on my website, the person who sent it was in Georgia, USA!:shocked2: This is one of the latest scams...posing as a well known company. Not trying to dampen the excitment; just be cautious.:tiptoe:

This is one of the latest scams...posing as a well known company. Not trying to dampen the excitment; just be cautious.:tiptoe:

Just like in years past where people wanted samples to possibly order a greater quantity, now they are representing themselves has a company.

I hope there is some way of contacting the company to verify they have this person employed by them. Usually the scammer will give their personal contact information using the excuse that they are "personally" handling it. I would feel a little better about it if the address the sample/mock-up is actually the addy for the company.

But I really, really hope this is true and a great opportunity for you.