Altitude and making candles connection ????

OK, went from sea level to 4100 ft and my candles tunnel now. I used the same wax mix and 6% FO.....we were on the coast of OR where it is humid, cool, and wet.....to high desert where it is high and dry and warm.

Anyone else experience this strange occurence?? :confused: :confused:

tootie

Altitude and ambient temperatures can definitely have an effect on how candles burn. Not much you can do about it. You can control how a candle burns in conditions similar to yours, but you can't control how it's going to burn if someone across the country burns it.

I've often wondered the same thing myself about altitude. I live at darn near sea level and I have to really wick down from what other folks on this board report. Taking a trip soon and plan to burn a candle up in the mountains to see what happens. I guess this would be a good argument for selling locally rather than nationally? Sigh. :(

Tootie, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I know how frustrating this is. Here is a thread I found where others talked about this:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45455&highlight=making+candles+at+high+altitude

I know it won't solve your problem but at least it gives you an idea of who else lives at similar altitude and if nothing else, you could try approaching them directly for advice.

So, does that mean a Yankee candle burns well "somewhere"??

I have always wondered about this when I read that it all depends on where you make it, then where you burn it, as to how well it burns.

Can a candle be made that burns well everywhere?

So, does that mean a Yankee candle burns well "somewhere"??

I have always wondered about this when I read that it all depends on where you make it, then where you burn it, as to how well it burns.

Can a candle be made that burns well everywhere?

LOL I haven't seen one burn well anywhere!

I think I figured out my problem...I didnt see what temp I was pouring at. I just meleted down and repoured from one jar to another. The second ones with the bigger wicks did the same thing this morning. They cured with big cracks by the wicks and the wax just drained down into the holes.

I used a spoon and dug down to the sholders of the jar (wax was up to the neck) and relit the candle and it is doing fine now. I dont have a heat gun.....but will get one soon.

I really didnt think altitude could have that BIG of a difference in my candles.

So I am going to pour the two candles again today that I was going to test in the beginning making sure to take temps and only fill to top of the shoulders of the jar. I really believe the temps was my biggest problem.

tootie

I don't know how much difference altitude makes in the burn. I lived higher up and now down lower and have never seen that much difference on the burn of store bought candles. I suspect the altitude would make more of a difference in the making of the candle. The only way to know for sure is to make a bunch in the same place and have them burned at different altitudes. Then in reverse, make some at different altitudes and burn them in the same place. It would make an interesting experiment :grin2:

Air density certainly does affect fire. If temperature/humidity/atmospheric pressure varies, the candle will burn differently.

A chandler in a different part of the country than me who uses the same wax and same % of the same fo might not be able to use the same wick as I use to get a good burn with a fmp.

I don't know how much difference altitude makes in the burn. I lived higher up and now down lower and have never seen that much difference on the burn of store bought candles. I suspect the altitude would make more of a difference in the making of the candle. The only way to know for sure is to make a bunch in the same place and have them burned at different altitudes. Then in reverse, make some at different altitudes and burn them in the same place. It would make an interesting experiment :grin2:

For the record mine have been made at 4,600 feet and been burned at sea level with no difference--they had a full melt pool and good throw.

There is obviously a difference in the air at different altitudes (I think that is universally known--i.e. cookbooks) but I think it may be a greater disparity in altitudes that would show any difference (possibly going from 7,000 ft up and then to sea level)--I have never had an issue with this.

For the record mine have been made at 4,600 feet and been burned at sea level with no difference--they had a full melt pool and good throw.

There is obviously a difference in the air at different altitudes (I think that is universally known--i.e. cookbooks) but I think it may be a greater disparity in altitudes that would show any difference (possibly going from 7,000 ft up and then to sea level)--I have never had an issue with this.

Well, I would HOPE that mine would burn well at any altitude, but without testing them in different areas, I wouldn't know.

I have burned a few in AZ and they did well........lol

Ok, by no means and I an expert, but I do ship candles to many places. Scotland, the coast of Texas, Cal, Florida, N.J., East Texas, Colorado, the list goes on. So far, knock on wood, I have not had any problems with them tunneling, or burning funny. These people sell for me, so they would let me know. Maybe this helps. I had a store on the coast at sea level and now I am 200 miles up the country. They are the same. The only time I notice a difference is at a show, when the temp is 30 degrees. They tend to tunnel more. During the summer they burn alot faster. They tunnel in the winter, because the jar is cold on the outside and it is harder for the wax to melt. And the opposite during the summer. You get a melt pool fast. :embarasse