Rapeseed wax

Others may know this as Canola seed wax also. Not sure about other countries but the name of 'rape' seed changed many years ago in Australia to Canola seed. I grew up in a 'rape' growing area and always knew it as 'rape' as a child. It was later changed and referred to as Canola.

I guess buying margarine at the supermarked made from 100% Rape was not palatable to the market :)

Have not seen the wax, just alerting people that it may be known under another name.

Bart70

• 2 years later...

hello,

i know this is an old post but i too am looking for information on candlemaking using rapeseed / canola oil wax. there is not a lot of information about working with this wax online.

anyone out there familiar with this or know of any websites with details - i am looking for more info as far as at what temperature to add my essential oils.

thanks! :)

hello,

i know this is an old post but i too am looking for information on candlemaking using rapeseed / canola oil wax. there is not a lot of information about working with this wax online.

anyone out there familiar with this or know of any websites with details - i am looking for more info as far as at what temperature to add my essential oils.

thanks! :)

Here's an interesting thread about making candles with rapeseed wax, and it even mentions a couple of sources to order rapeseed wax from: http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?70066-Rapeseed-Wax

One source is the candle supply company that's owned by the poster "CandleMan," and it looks like he still carries rapeseed wax, so here's his website: http://thatflamingcandlecompany.com/

And here's the website for the other supplier that sells rapeseed wax, but I don't see it on their website so maybe they've discontinued it. They may still be able to answer questions about it, though: http://www.4candles.co.uk/

This looks like an American company that sells rapeseed wax, if I'm not mistaken...oh, yikes, no, it's HQ is in India! lol But maybe they distribute in the USA. http://www.trivenichemicals.com/candle-wax.html

Another UK source: http://www.poth-hille.co.uk/products/rapeseed-wax

A few more UK sources for rapeseed wax come up on Google.

Edited by HorsescentS

I looked for canola/rapeseed wax a few years ago after seeing a company who made lovely pillars with it and thought it

would be easy enough to find but it wasn't. I also came across hemp wax and was able to get a couple pounds to play with

from a company that was discontinuing it. Both of these waxes were supposed to be really hard and I was hoping to perhaps

use them in place of beeswax etc, and mostly for b & b stuff as I wasn't making candles back then.

I really thought canola wax would be easier to find, I live on the Canadian prairies and canola grows everywhere so it makes you

wonder. I'm thinking that it must have something to do with the fact that most is grown under contract for predetermined sales.

Years ago there was an area in the province famous for growing canola and making honey. They had huge signs all over the place

that read "in the land of rape and honey" if you can imagine!

Hi, yes I do use rapeseed wax (well trying :) ) I don't think the US can get rapeseed wax or so I have heard.

Anyway there is hardly any info on this wax out there and it's very much down to trial and error. I have been adding my fragrance at 80 but I have no idea about essential oils as I have never used them.

I use rapeseed wax as well :) The more I use it the more I love it. I'm swithing from soy. Rapeseed doesn't frost and I get a better HT from it. The hard thing is wicking, rapeseed requires a lot bigger wick then soy. I use cd cdns and for me they work just fine.

I use rapeseed wax as well :) The more I use it the more I love it. I'm swithing from soy. Rapeseed doesn't frost and I get a better HT from it. The hard thing is wicking, rapeseed requires a lot bigger wick then soy. I use cd cdns and for me they work just fine.

If you don't mind me asking what fragrance oil percent have you been using? I now have some cdn wicks and am testing those, I found that cd don't cope with some fragrances.

Yvelis,

i checked out your site... your soy candles look lovely. i will keep checking your site - am anxious to see your rapsvax creations! :)

thank you so much for the tip about wicking larger than soy. as there is not a lot of info on the internet about working with raps, i am reading all i can for soy and testing/adjusting as i go.

If you don't mind me asking what fragrance oil percent have you been using? I now have some cdn wicks and am testing those, I found that cd don't cope with some fragrances.

Of course I don't mind you asking :-)

For scents from Candle Cocoon I use about 5% and others around 7-8%. In soy I usually used up to 9% .

I have a few that doesn't behave with my CD wicks but I will discountinue them, I will only use scents that work with rapeseed and CD/CDN's.

/Yvonne

Yvelis,

i checked out your site... your soy candles look lovely. i will keep checking your site - am anxious to see your rapsvax creations! :)

thank you so much for the tip about wicking larger than soy. as there is not a lot of info on the internet about working with raps, i am reading all i can for soy and testing/adjusting as i go.

Thank you :-)

In my candles, I now use a CD 10 in a 6,5 cm container and with soy I used a CD 5. So it is a big difference, at least from the soyblend I used.

/Yvonne