Container Paraffin Favorite?

Since I'm testing these "bitchy" soy candles/wicks (I want to throw them out of a fast moving vehicle!), I'd like to pour some "tame" compliant container paraffin wax. I'd like to ask you all what container paraffins you like to use? Which types of wicks burn well in a regular container wax? I'm going to keep with the 3" diameter status jar for now.

4630 is a great one pour wax for containers .I have used this & love the results .I use zinc wicks & wanting to experiment with other wicks eventually ,need extra time to make more candles .Many Crafters here to help assist you .My 2 cents worth is 4630 ,pour around 160 works best for me .I mainly make wax melts thou.

I second IGI 4630. Perfect for container candles. I usually use LX wicks with it and get great results. Something like the LX 18 would be a good starting place for testing if you are doing a 3" diameter container with it. Keep us posted on how you like switching from soy to paraffin!

• Like 1

Now that I think about it, the soy wax moodiness may be why I put pouring them away for a few years? As I rethink using the soy, my customers may not be concerned that they are not soy. Since I am going to enhance my incense sales by offering rustic pillar candles in the same scent genre (with a few bakeries and florals here and there) the paraffin containers may just work. I can always use the soy for our personal use, since we don't care if they frost and such, we just want SCENT :)

38 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Does anyone know the difference between the 4630 and the 4636?

4636 was the old J50 owned by Astorlite before selling to IGI. It is a true one pour, and holds scent and color well, throws nice, etc., The main difference is 4636 is a bit harder in texture, (not as soft/vaseline in texture) but also much harder to come by these days. I'm only aware of a handful of companies that actually still carry the 4636. I've used the J50/4636 for 20 years, and it's just what I have perfected and am used too, so that is why it's my go to for recommendations. I've never worked with 4630.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

4636 was the old J50 owned by Astorlite before selling to IGI. It is a true one pour, and holds scent and color well, throws nice, etc., The main difference is 4636 is a bit harder in texture, (not as soft/vaseline in texture) but also much harder to come by these days. I'm only aware of a handful of companies that actually still carry the 4636. I've used the J50/4636 for 20 years, and it's just what I have perfected and am used too, so that is why it's my go to for recommendations. I've never worked with 4630.

I do like the idea of the harder wax, it's already roasting here in the southwest, and the soy candles will probably melt down on me. Does the 4636 have good glass adhesion? Which wick do you recommend using or starting with? Oh, 3" diameter.

I double wick my apothecary jars with zinc wicks. 

with the AZ heat this wax should have great glass adhesion, but even though it is harder than the 4630 it is still a soft wax. If you want a harder container wax you can look into 4786, but that is not a one pour wax 

4 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

JC ,Welcome back from your trip .Pics are amazing ,looked yesterday .To get back on subject ,pretty sure Aztec may still carry 4636 wax .It sounds like a great wax to add some pillar 4625 for melts .Do you think the two together would make a good tart? I use 4625/4630 blend ,however would like to experiment with 4636 .I do like 4630 ,no complaints & makes a wonderful candle .I value your opinion always 😀You certainly have lots of years of candle making & wisdom .Thanks !

16 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

JC ,Welcome back from your trip .Pics are amazing ,looked yesterday .To get back on subject ,pretty sure Aztec may still carry 4636 wax .It sounds like a great wax to add some pillar 4625 for melts .Do you think the two together would make a good tart? I use 4625/4630 blend ,however would like to experiment with 4636 .I do like 4630 ,no complaints & makes a wonderful candle .I value your opinion always 😀You certainly have lots of years of candle making & wisdom .Thanks !

Thank you, 

Yes, I think the 2 would mix great for tarts. 

I know Lonestar is another one that carries the 4636, but those 2 are really the only ones I know of for sure. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I double wick my apothecary jars with zinc wicks. 

with the AZ heat this wax should have great glass adhesion, but even though it is harder than the 4630 it is still a soft wax. If you want a harder container wax you can look into 4786, but that is not a one pour wax 

I am leaning towards the 4636...I'd prefer a one pour if I can get it. Which wick should I start with in a 3" diameter jar? 

Depends - do you want to double wick, or single wick? If double wicking, I'd use 2 44-18z, or if you are single wicking, I would start with a 52z, but of course it will depend on scent and other variables as well. And if you want to use zincs. 

I know a lot of people have had luck in the J waxes and even the 4630 with LX, and RRD wicks. I've never worked with those, so wouldn't be able to tell you. 

I have a few zincs on hand, so I will try those 51-32-18 and 60-44-18. I also just got the eco 10 and 12 in this afternoon. I am single wicking the 3" status jars.