LX-14 should all look the same?

HI!

I bought LX-14 from Candlewic and also from Candlescience and they have VERY DIFFERENT WIDTHS.  One is also lighter in color.

I don't know much about wicks, how they are made or by whom, but I don't want to mess up my testing using these different looking wicks that are supposed to be the same!  Shouldn't the same type of wicks look exactly alike??

Thanks for the light!

I have them from both places as well and they do not burn the same- at least in my wax

I was trying to switch to the same supplier for all wicks and they must use different suppliers that coat them differently.....

CW seem to burn cooler for me than CS but I don't use LX often at all to have confirmed results for you

I would pick one supplier and stick with them for all wicks you use 

• Like 1

My understanding is there are several variables that can affect the size of the same wick. The wax coating will actually only affect visually, not in terms of the burn. Thicker/thinner coating from batch to batch is pretty common and doesn't affect anything but appearance. Now here is where things change, the machine that is used to tab the wicks, can put a different tension on the wick causing a variant in the finished product. So a wick that is say tabbed by Wicks Unlimited and sold by Bitter Creek may not burn the same as the same size/series wick that is tabbed and sold by Candlewic. Same wick, same size, different burn. I've been told this by several different manufacturers over the years including Wicks Unlimited and Atkins & Pearce.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Flicker said:

My understanding is there are several variables that can affect the size of the same wick. The wax coating will actually only affect visually, not in terms of the burn. Thicker/thinner coating from batch to batch is pretty common and doesn't affect anything but appearance. Now here is where things change, the machine that is used to tab the wicks, can put a different tension on the wick causing a variant in the finished product. So a wick that is say tabbed by Wicks Unlimited and sold by Bitter Creek may not burn the same as the same size/series wick that is tabbed and sold by Candlewic. Same wick, same size, different burn. I've been told this by several different manufacturers over the years including Wicks Unlimited and Atkins & Pearce.

Thank you so much for your detailed explanations and for sharing your extensive knowledge, much appreciated!!!  Candlewic responded and said it should burn the same but the wax coating is different.

We have no way ok knowing which manufacturer makes the online retailers wicks... So that means we buy from one, test it, works, stick to it...basically, correct?!  If so, I just lost 200 wicks ;-(((  oh well...

On 8/6/2017 at 10:15 PM, moonshine said:

I have them from both places as well and they do not burn the same- at least in my wax

I was trying to switch to the same supplier for all wicks and they must use different suppliers that coat them differently.....

CW seem to burn cooler for me than CS but I don't use LX often at all to have confirmed results for you

I would pick one supplier and stick with them for all wicks you use 

Thank you for your feedback!  Seems I need to stick to the same supplier.  I'm basically going to marry CS.

24 minutes ago, Bia said:

Thank you so much for your detailed explanations and for sharing your extensive knowledge, much appreciated!!!  Candlewic responded and said it should burn the same but the wax coating is different.

We have no way ok knowing which manufacturer makes the online retailers wicks... So that means we buy from one, test it, works, stick to it...basically, correct?!  If so, I just lost 200 wicks ;-(((  oh well...

As long as you know the source of a suppliers wicks, you should be fine buying from any supplier they make them for. But for the most part yes, stick to one source. :)

• Like 1