Scent Suppliers

That's too vague of a question. Most of the  suppliers have some good and not so good fragrances. It's also going to depend on your application and wax and wick etc. Personally if  you see a fragrance you are interested in ... buy it, try it and if it doesn't meet your expectation or desire, find another company that carries it and try theirs. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Scented said:

That's too vague of a question. Most of the  suppliers have some good and not so good fragrances. It's also going to depend on your application and wax and wick etc. Personally if  you see a fragrance you are interested in ... buy it, try it and if it doesn't meet your expectation or desire, find another company that carries it and try theirs. 

Great advice. Also, everyone is going to have different opinions on how things smell. 

There are scents that for me blow my socks off and I have to use less, whereas for others using the exact same scent from the same supplier, using the same amount and they can barely smell it. 

As with everything in this industry/business, it all comes down to testing and does or doesn't work for you. 

There are several great suppliers with wonderful reviews here on the board. 

These replys make sense. I was actually reading an article on candle making for beginners, and they mentioned this site/blog. They encouraged to ask questions and this was one the questions. This is why I asked, because sometimes I do notice that some are stronger than others. They were insinuating that some scent makers make them more concentrated. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Ziggy P said:

They were insinuating that some scent makers make them more concentrated. Thanks 

That sentence can be read a few ways.

Make them more concentrated: Yes, some do have their scents at the lab made more or less potent than others. It is a big way to keep their retail lines affordable to their target market. 

Do  I believe popular retailers dilute them before selling? No, not really. It takes too much time and is far too risky. Batch traceability would be compromised and don't you think employees would talk? 

I will say that not all labs are the same. Some do a much better job with their chosen aromachemical components than others. It takes time and testing to find retailers that have what you like.

10 hours ago, Ziggy P said:

No, The article that I read said that some suppliers had stronger scents tan others and to get advise from seasoned candle makers such as people in this group.

Not every lilac is the same or every vanilla etc. Some come off stronger, but the bottom line is still how it performs in your application and how it impresses you. I mean you see a ton  of say sugar cookies out there. Some of them are going to be close to another supplier's scent, but till you try it and see what you think it's hard to tell you that this is one you must have.  Hope that make sense. Your likes may not align with mine. Too, some companies I think sample a fragrance and may seek to tweak it so that it better suits what they were looking for. My example to it might be this ... there was a company named Moonworks that carried some fairly complex scents, but that company went out of business and several people went looking for duplications having little success in finding some. A company did buy the codes for Moonworks scents, but it took some time before that company put some scents into circulation and at the time it wasn't going to carry all scents that company offered. So some sought companies to duplicate scents. Fragrance Buddy was one of those and at the time people using those scents felt those scents were close in duplication, but missing notes that had added to the depth of the original Moonworks scents. 

So there are a lot of lilacs out there and lavenders and patchoulis and etc. and some seem like knockoffs to a T and some seem to lack something. 

So if it were me and I was looking for a patchouli that really appealed to me, I would buy a few smaller bottles and start testing them to see they did something for me. I would buy enough of those scents to try them out in the different applications I would be interested in using them. For instance there were some patchoulis that sucked in incense and our customers let us know they felt the scent was weak etc. 

I think there are varying degrees of a scent available to suppliers. I mean look at SOS which offers I think three levels of the junk instead of just providing something that's strong  to withstand anything. Candlewix offers scents and then ultimate scents. But till you try them you won't see or know the difference and unfortunately that's a waste of money, true. So that's why one should start small enough to test out and then go larger if you like it or blow off that company for someone else.