Hope there is not a limit on crazy newb?'s

traok

So I bought my wife a few books on soap making last Christmas... (hmm and its September ?)

LOL any way they are mostly focused on cold and hot process.

They have loads of recipes.. I guess the question I am posing is can I convert these to M&P at this early stage .

Like for the following example can I substitue the Lye for a GMB or White Base and convert the wax and oils to tsp or1/2 tsp ?

1.76oz Bees Wax

12.35oz OO

45.86oz CO

49.38oz SoybeanOil

10.58oz palm oil

24oz lye

49oz deionized water

Maybe I can look at it by % no I suppose not.. Or % of additives and have 1tsp = 100% BAHHHHhhhhh

Surely there is an answer other than setup for CP or HP .

Please dont give up or write us off. We really are dying and trying to learn

Traok

*** How would this look

1.76oz Bees Wax

.5 tsp Olive OOil

1tsp Coconut Oil

1tsp Soybean Oil

1tsp Castor Oil

.5tsp palm oil

16oz MP Base

Would this be close ? Or functional ... Man this is addicting

You wouldn't need the coconut or palm oil as most MP bases already contain these ingredients. The castor and olive oil are nice additives. The beeswax will only make the bar harder and possibly lose lather. Try a bit of Shea butter. It makes for a very moisturizing soap. Here is an old thread that has tons of MP recipes on it. Try some of these.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?90126-M-amp-P-Recipes

All additives will change how the soap base functions. Some for the better (perhaps reducing the irritancy from the surfactants used in the M&P) some for the worse (loss of lather, etc).

My advice would be to try it for yourself to see how your base reacts to your additives. Try one thing at a time to reduce the number of variables. Changing to a % will surely make scaling batches simpler when you find something you like.

As for beeswax, I can say that even in CP soap the wax inhibits lather at levels as low as 1%.

As for other oils, adding unsaponified oils such as coconut, palm, olive, etc. will act as additional superfat. You'll like some oils and not others. Not all M&P Bases are the same. As you run out of your M&P base and change possibly to another know that your experiments may need to start from square 1.

If you have a good scale, I'd start with single bars at perhaps 100 grams. 100 grams makes the math really easy and doesn't waste much in materials for things you may not like.